Dan just bought the perfect engagement ring for his girlfriend Joanne (Jo). On the morning of the day that he's planning his proposal he checks the box to find that his ring is missing. Dan runs around his apartment frantically checking everywhere but he can't find the ring. He begins to panic and then decides that he must do the only sensible thing he can: retrace his steps before the end of the day. Jo's at work for the day so Dan knows that he has the day to find the ring. He's already told Jo that he has something special planned for dinner that night so it's not like he can put it off; plus she may know that it's coming because they've dated for five years.
Dan calls the Jewelery Store where he bought the ring praying that he left the ring there.
Clerk: Robinson's diamonds this is Jenny how can I help you?
Dan: Hi Jenny this is Dan Stein; I was in yesterday to pick up the engagement ring for my fiance. By any chance did I leave the ring in the store when I left.
Jenny: I don't think that anyone left any jewelery behind yesterday. I was here all day yesterday. Let me check if anyone else found anything.
Dan: (To Himself) I can't fucking believe this. Seriously? Why today of all days?
Jenny: Hi, Dan?
Dan: Yes, I'm here. Please tell me I left it there.
Jenny: Sorry, no luck. I'm sure it's around your house or car somewhere. Sometimes people take them out of the box to shine them up before they propose; I know we advise that.
Dan: Yeah I did that but I swear I put it back in the box. I'll just have to keep looking, thanks for your help.
Jenny: No problem, I'm sure you'll find it soon.
In a panic Dan calls his best friend Carl to ask for help.
Carl: Hey man what's up? You ready to lose all of your freedom to one chick for the rest of your life.
Dan: On any other day I'd appreciate your cynical and sometimes disturbing humor but not today Carl. I lost the fucking ring. What the hell am I gonna do man? That thing cost like ten grand and I know Jo expects something special tonight. Shit she probably even knows that I'm gonna pop the question tonight. What do I do bro?
Carl: It's cool man we'll figure this out. First of all, did you retrace your steps from the store? Check your car all your pockets and turn your place upside down?
Dan: I've already turned my place upside down. Here stay on the phone I'll go out to my car and see if it fell between the seats or something.
Dan goes out to his car retracing all of his steps and begins searching under the seats and everything.
Carl: Did you call the place? See if maybe you left it there?
Dan: Did it my man. No such luck. You think it's worth it to walk the street in front of the place? I figure if I dropped it in the street it'd be gone anyway.
Carl: Good call. I mean worth a shot but it's a long shot. I don't think the ring just jumped out of the box onto the sidewalk and it's not like you had it out playing with it right?
Dan: Of course not, the thing never left the box until I took it out to shine it.
Carl: Hmmmm, this is a tough one man. Look this may be kind of crazy but Jo's known for playing practical jokes on you. You think maybe she found it this morning and just put it on? I mean honestly dude I wouldn't put it past her.
Dan: Ok hang on I'll call her...wait, what the hell am I gonna say? "Oh hey by any chance did you go into my drawer, pull out the ring, and start wearing it?"
Carl: Dude just go down to her office and surprise her with lunch or flowers. You always pull cheesy bullshit like that you romantic sap. And ten grand, seriously? What is that like your life savings plus a loan from the mob? You don't have the kind of cash.
Dan: We've been together for five years Carl. I've been savings since around the six month point. I love this girl man, she's the one for me. I'd pay ten times what I paid for a ring if I had it.
Carl: don't make me cry bro. This shit is just too beautiful.
Dan: Haha fuck off dude, but thanks for your help. I'm gonna go to the office and surprise her.
Carl: Good luck man. And don't worry, it'll work out for the best.
Dan: Later man.
Dan gets in his car and goes to the flower shop to buy a bouquet. He figured he'll surprise her with flowers and a lunch date. That way he'll be able to spot the ring on her finger if she took it. When he arrives at the building Dan takes the elevator up to Jo's floor. He's been there plenty of times before and heads straight for her office. On the way he sees Jo's secretary Rebecca.
Dan: Hey Becca, Jo in there?
Becca: Oh Dan, flowers, you're such a sweet guy. I think she's in a meeting I'll tell her your here.
Dan: No it's cool I'll just go in and surprise her.
Dan tries the door and notices that it's locked. He also finally notices that the blinds are down, something he's never seen before.
That's weird, you sure she's in here?
Becca: I was sure she said that she said she was interviewing for the new junior analyst position over lunch. I'll just call in. Hi Jo, Dan's out here. He brought flowers. Ok I'll tell him. She says she'll be out in a minute.
Dan: Ok, no problem.
A minute later a young man exits and quickly moves down the hallway. Dan notices that his tie is loose and off to the left. The man didn't have anything in his hands either, no portfolio, resume, or anything else. Like he left in a hurry. Then Jo comes out of the office. He hair looks disheveled, and her shirt is unbuttoned a bit.
Jo: Hey babe! Flowers, oh you shouldn't have.
Dan: What the hell was that Jo? Door locked, blinds down, and then you walk out here with sex hair. Do you think I'm a fucking idiot?
Jo: What are you talking about?
Dan: That little shit practically sprints down the hallway and you walk out here looking all flustered. Your caught just admit it.
Jo: You really think I would cheat on you?
Dan: Not until about thirty seconds ago.
Jo: What are you gonna do about it?
Dan: This is where I tell you to go fuck yourself and I chase that little shit down and beat his ass in.
Jo: You want your ring back?
Dan: As a matter of fact...wait a sec you have the ring? I've been looking everywhere for it.
Jo: Looks like you found it. Oh by the way, Carl says GOT YA! HAHAHA you should see how red your face is right now.
Dan: Wait a minute slow down. Are you saying this whole day, this whole thing is one big prank?
Jo: Haha yeah babe. I'm sorry I just had to. I guess you left the ring on the table by accident last night and when I got up in the middle of the night to get a drink I saw it. It was so pretty so I had to put it on. Instead of waking you up I figured I'd punish you a little for being so irresponsible with it.
Dan: So you cheated on me as punishment?
Jo: Wow, Bec he still doesn't get it. It was all one big hoax. Bec and Carl were both in on it. Even Scott was in on it.
Dan: Who's the hell is Scott?
The young guy who previously emerged from the office comes back laughing hysterically. Dan finally starts to realize how badly he was tricked.
Scott: Dude, I'm sorry, but you should have seen your face. You looked like a raging bull. I thought for a second there you were gonna spear me.
Dan: I still kind of want to.
Jo: I'm sorry babe, you know me, I couldn't resist.
Dan: I don't even know what to say. You almost gave me a heart attack.
Becca: I'm sorry Dan, we all thought it would be funny so we went along with it.
Dan doesn't know what to say so he just looks around the room. Everyone looks like they feel horrible about it. then a twinkle catches his eye. It's the ring on Jo's finger. Her smile turns to a frown, and she looks like she might cry.
Jo: Babe I'm sorry, don't be mad ok? Nothing happened.
Dan: Well you're wearing the ring, so that means "yes" right?
Jo: Like you'd even have to ask, of course babe.
Dan goes over and hugs and kisses Jo. The whole office claps for them.
Dan: Don't ever fucking do that to me again, ok?
Jo: You kidding? This is only the beginning. You know what you signed up for with me.
Fin
*I'm too lazy to edit, forgive the grammatical errors*
A more solid effort than the last one. Your dialogue is still a little slack and wanting, but if you keep going over it and work on it, it will start to sound much natural and believable. It's a cute and different plot for you, but its good to see you trying something different with your writing. Keep it up.
ReplyDelete