Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Modern Day Courtship

     Ben shows up to his watering hole, the local Starbucks, for his ritual of Saturday morning paper       grading.  He doesn't tell anyone but Ben frequents this Starbucks in particular because of a good looking Barista named Shana.  Ben's never made any attempts to pursue Shana, but if the chance presented itself Ben wouldn't hesitate. On this particular day fate stepped in.

Shana: Hey Ben, how's it goin?

Ben: I'm well how about you?

Shana: Doing well thanks.  The usual today? Grande Cafe Misto?

Ben: You got it.  Great memory.  So what's new with you?

Shana: Not much, you know same old.  Trying to go back to school but I'm not sure what I want to do so just working as much as I can for right now.

Ben: That's great.  I'm sure you'll find your direction sometime soon.  How much do I owe you?

Shana: That'll be $2.70.

Ben: Here's $3; keep the change.

Shana: Thanks Ben, good to see you.

Ben: You too, good luck with school.

Shana: Thanks.

      Ben sits down next to an older gentleman to wait for his drink.

Sam: Hows it going today?

Ben: I'm well thanks.  Just grading papers, you?

Sam: Can't complain, just a great lookin' Saturday.  Papers huh? You a teacher?

Ben:  Yes sir, 10th grade English.

Sam: Wow 10th grade, good for you.  I remember years ago when my kids were in 10th grade.  They can be a handful at that age.

Ben:  Haha some days they definitely can be.  It's a good age though, I don't mind them...on most days.

     Both men laugh.

Shana: Ben, your misto's ready.

Ben: Thanks Shana, take care.

Shana: Thanks you too, don't work too hard.

Ben: I'll try not to.

     Ben goes back to his seat.

Sam: Real sweet girl that one.

Ben: Sigh.  Yeah she's great.

Sam: Pointing to Ben's finger.  I don't see a ring, you married.

Ben: Nope, free as a bird.

Sam: No girlfriend either?

Ben: Nothin'.

Sam: You're kidding me right? Good lookin' guy like you? Girls should be bustin' down your door.

Ben: It baffles me too (Both men laugh).  Oh well what can you do.

Sam: What about her? You two seem to get along alright. Motions to Shana.  She smiles back.

Ben: I'd love to, but I don't think she seems me that way.  I'm just a customer you know?

Sam: You're crazy kid.  Look, I'm gonna have to be frank with you because apparently those in your generation have trouble growin' a set of balls.  You like this girl, and she's nice to you.  It's simple, you ask her out to dinner and a movie and see if somethin' happens.  If not, no harm done.  Worst comes to worst you have to find a new watering hole. 

Ben: Trust me man, she's not interested.  I know girls.

Sam: You don't know shit kid.  Now I'm gonna call her over in a minute and you better nut up. 

Ben: Don't. Seriously don't...You're bluffing anyway. 

     Sam motions Shana over.  

Sam:  Hey dear can you come here for a second.  I think there's somethin' wrong with my buddy, uh what'd you say your name was?

Ben: Hmph. Ben.

Sam: Yeah, Ben.  Sorry friend, you tend to forget things in your old age.  Now if you two will excuse me for a second I need to use the restroom.

Shana: I'm sorry Ben, something wrong with your drink.

Ben: Umm....no actually the drink is fine; great as usual.  Actually, I was wondering...would you maybe want to join me for dinner or a movie sometime?

Shana: I'm sorry Ben, company policy is we can't date customers.

Ben: Oh ok, nevermind.  Forget I said anything.

Shana: Hahaha.  I'm fucking with you Ben.  Yeah that'd be fun.  Here give me your phone, I'll put in my number. 

Ben: Oh sure, here you go.  Drops his phone.

Shana: Haha, you alright there?

Ben: Yeah, sorry, you just took me by surprise. 

Shana: Honestly Ben, it's about time.  I wondered when you were finally going to pull the trigger.  That or I figured you had a girlfriend. 

Ben: Nope, no girlfriend.

Shana: Good to know.  Here you go (Hand him back his phone) now you have my number.  I'm off Thursday and Saturday nights.  Call me.

Ben:  I will.

     Shana walks away smiling. Sam comes back over.

Sam: What'd I miss kid?

Ben: Smiling like an idiot.  I got her number. 

Sam: Way to man up kid. 

Ben:  I'm sorry I never caught your name.

Sam: Seriously, you don't know who I am.  Do I need to pull out my boy and arrow.  Cupid's the name, love's the game.

Ben: Puzzled...Ok...

Sam:  Geez kid, can't anyone in your generation take a joke.  I'm Sam, good to meet you.

Ben: Oh, haha, nice to meet you too Sam.  And thanks. 

Sam:  Happy to be of service.  If you ever need a kick in the butt to get moving come find me.  I'm usually hanign' around these parts.

Ben: I'll do that.

Sam: You better.  Now, go tear some kids a new one with those papers.  Someone's gotta whip these idiots in shape.  God knows what's gonna happen to this country when one of these jokers is in office. 

Ben: Haha, don't worry.  I'll whip them into shape.

      Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment