I have this gift, where with enough convincing I can get anyone into a show that I love (And I'm so modest about it). This January three shows that I love have will begin their new seasons. This is my preview, and my gift to you if you do not already watch these shows and are currently seeking new forms of entertainment via premium cable channels. Let me begin with one of my new found favorites, the Showtime original series Shameless. This show follows the difficult life of a Gallagher family. The Gallaghers struggle to make end's meat due to the absence of their mother and their father constantly squandering any money that they earn on alcohol or other unfortunate endeavors. With no mother present the oldest sister, Fiona (Emmy Rossum), assumes the role of the matriarch. Four out of the six Gallagher children must work to support the household, and as you can imagine things get pretty crazy with no stable parents in the picture. Fiona also has an interesting way of coping with her stressful life which doesn't always set the best example for her younger siblings. Tune in this Sunday for the premiere of Season 2. It's not available on instant Netflix yet but you may be able to get all of the episodes on demand through your cable provider. Anyway, here's a trailer for the second season.
Showtime continues it's brilliance with my favorite show and character on television, Californication. If you haven't seen this show you must make it your top priority. David Duchovny is an absolute genius with his character of Hank Moody, the self-loathing alcoholic and sex addict. He's always honest and always tries to do what's best for others and it always end up getting him screwed over in the end (Sounds kind of like someone I know...minus the alcoholic and sex addict). This show is available for instant streaming on Netflix and the pilot episode is the best pilot I have ever seen for any show. It hooked me and I'm sure it will hook you. I don't want to give away to much but just know that Hank is always trying to win back the love of his life. I'm excited for this season and you should be too. Oh and by the way this is the only teaser I can find. A lot of the clips are from past seasons; still start watching this show if you have the time and don't currently watch it. You won't regret it.
So last show that I will shamelessly promote is Spartacus: Vengeance. This series began with the late Andy Whitfield playing Spartacus, a Thratian slave who rose to glory through victories in the arena and eventually took his freedom by force. The second season Gods of the Arena acted as a prequal to the original Blood and Sand due to Whitfield's illness, non-Hodgkins lymphoma (which tragically killed the actor in 2011). Both seasons featured plenty of blood, guts, gore, and sex. If you have any interest in the gladiatorial games, Roman society, or any of the aforementioned content then I highly recommend this show. It provides a great dose of action and sex, and surprisingly came from Starz which usually doesn't go heavy on the sexual content. This show is available instantly on Netflix and on demand through your cable provider. Although I enjoyed the previous two seasons I'm skeptical about Vengeance. Whitfield did a great job and it will be difficult for the new Spartacus to compare. I'll tune in but I'm not as excited about this show as I am about the previous two seasons.
I need to convince my parents to upgrade to premium cable when I move back in with them.
ReplyDeleteMake sure that you time it properly because the fall may not bring such a good lineup of shows. Investigate that shit.
ReplyDelete