Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Son of Neptune

Ok people I'm changing it up.  All of my TV and movie reviews probably make me look like the most illiterate English teacher out there.  Well I'm far from it.  I may be picky about what I choose to read, but I still love reading.  I recently finished the latest book by Rick Riordan titled The Sun of Neptune.  Riordan wrote the Percy Jackson series, which you may have heard of based on the movie, The Lightning Thief, which came out last year (or was it last year?).  Although the movie disappointed many, these books are entertaining yet educational.  Riordan is in the process of writing two more series in addition to the Percy Jackson series.  The first of these series, The Heroes of Olympus, is in essence a sequel to Percy Jackson and the Olympians.  These series feature stories about Ancient Greek and Roman mythology, and how both the Greek and Roman gods play an active part in modern society.  I love these books because they are action packed, well written, and also provide the reader with real facts about Greek and Roman mythology.  For that reason they are an excellent read for independent and young adult readers (The age group that they are written for.  Forgive me but I find these books far more entertaining than the classics).  These books are perfect for young adults because they are fun reads that can also educate young people about ancient cultures and their gods.  If you're like me and you enjoy action-packed and fun young adult series such as Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia, you should definitely go and pick up one of Riordan's books.  I recommend starting from the beginning with The Lightning Thief and see where it takes you. 

I'll attempt to regain my focus and write specifically about The Son of Neptune.  I loved this book because of the creative new characters, descriptions, and villains that Riordan provided for the reader.  I truly feel that Riordan's writing improves with every new book that he releases (At least with Percy Jackson & The Heroes of Olympus).  It's the same storyline, someone trying to take over the world whether it's Giants, Titans, old Earth Gods and Goddesses where the fate of the world lies in the hands of the demigods, yet every book continues to entertain me.  I think it's obvious that I love these books, and sadly I don't personally know anybody else who's read them.  If you love young adult, sci-fy, and/or fantasy novels go ahead and start reading Riordan's books.  But please, start with Percy Jackson and The Olympians.  The Kane Chronicles are good, but not as good as the Percy Jackson books, so start with those.  Now go read!

2 comments:

  1. I never read any of the Rick Riordan books I am ashamed to say. But they're on my summer list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good, start reading them now, they are so fun.

    ReplyDelete