Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Is it Time for me to Finally Surrender to the iphone?

I've reached that point that some fear and others relish: the contract for my cellphone is up, and I am now to decide what new piece of technology will carry me through the next two years of my life.  I'm struggling with this decision because as I'm excited to get rid of my Crapberry, I'm not sure if I want to up or downgrade.  Conventional wisdom tells me to downgrade because of my distaste for cellphones in general, but I must say that I have gotten quite used to having email on my mobile device.  Although I loathe people who spend their entire day/life on their cell phones listening to music, playing games, texting, and talking, for my general purposes in life it seems that a smart phone would make things easier. 

No big deal right? You get get smartphones cheap now, even free if you start a new plan.  Oh no friends, I will not be falling into that pitfall again of buying or taking some piece of crap phone.  If I upgrade I will be iphoning it with the best of them.  Not because I care to have all of the apps, games, and music a 16GB phone (yes I've though this through and 16 GB is plenty of memory for my needs), but because if I'm going to have a phone for it's ability to connect to the internet, I might as well buy the best phone out there.  And here come the nay sayers; you know, those people who try to say that Android phones are just as good as iphones.  Sorry people, but apple reigns superior in all things technology.

So right now you're probably thinking why I'm even debating this because I'm obviously set on buying an iphone.  If only it were that easy.  The Jew in me always thinks of the cost when it comes to these machines, and that extra thirty dollars a month for the 3GB of data is a tough thing to stomach.  Is email and internet on the go worth and extra 30 bucks a month, let alone the 60 bucks I'll already be spending for talk and text.  Throw in those taxes and fees and I'm easily looking at 100 bucks.  I just don't know if the unlimited access to email is really necessary.  I could certainly use some advice here so please let me know what you think.  Iphone vs. regular phone? And yes those are your only two choices.  If you say no cellphone, I praise you but it's not going to happen.  Just in case you needed some biased swaying on how awesome iphones are:

2 comments:

  1. The Jew in you... but yes get an iphone. I'm getting an iphone this summer though probably not the newest one unless I have a really good first month at work, but probably the regular 4. Siri kind of creeps me out anyways/I would totally abuse it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you'll get service in your house when you have an iphone.

    ReplyDelete