Sunday, April 29, 2012

This is 40

This movie looks like the next best apatow-related comedy. I call all of those movies with Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Jonah Hill Apatow-related because even though Judd Apatow may not have directed or executive produced he seems to be the father of this new brand of stoner/slacker humor which I happen to love.  Anyway, this new move is a pseudo sequel to Knocked Up, but instead of following Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl's relationship it focuses on the family of Paul Rudd, Leslie Mann, and the two Apatow daughters (dude casts his whole family in movies and they're still fucking awesome; nepotism at it's finest).  I prefer this dynamic as I love Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann, and I could do without Katherine Heigl.  I've got nothing against her personally. it's just that I don't think she's very funny, and for a comedy to kick ass you need funny actors. 

So this movie picks up a few years after Knocked Up left off. Debbie (Leslie Mann, and don't criticize. I only remembered the characters names now and I didn't feel like looking them up on imdb. I prefer to rely on my memory which has allowed me to confine plenty of useless information over the years including lots of information from movies) is going through an early mid-life crisis as she refuses to admit that she's 40 years old.  In response to her crisis, Debbie vows to make changes in her family members lives, specifically  her husband and her two daughters.  While Debbie strives to change her family for the better conflict arises and people start to rebel when their lives are suddenly being forcefully altered.  The pinnacle of the trailer, which I will soon post for your viewing pleasure, has to be the scene where Paul Rudd appears to be holding a mirror up to his butthole and asks his wife to come and help him out with something (Yes, I know, this movie sounds epic).

This is 40 will bring back characters from Knocked up such as Jason Segel and Tim Bagley, while also bringing in some new and hilarious talent in Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids).   Let's be honest people, it's an Apatow movie, and right now Apatow is the king of cinematic comedy.  Go and see this movie and you will likely not regret it.


3 comments:

  1. I love the last bit of the trailer, Paul Rudd at his finest. I'm glad Melissa McCarthy can move on past Bridesmaids, that movie was horrendous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Movie was horrendous, but she was excellent. I love when she steals all the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that I make an effort to comment on your posts...

    ReplyDelete