Sunday, May 27, 2012
Hugo: Big Disappoiontment
I recently ordered Hugo on Netflix based on that critical acclaim and hype, yet the film fell far short of my expectations. The setting and cinematography were well done, and the characters did a fine job at their roles, but the plot moved at too slow a pace for my liking. At the thirty minute mark I wondered when something exciting would happen, at 45 minutes I decided I would turn off the movie if it didn't improve by the one hour mark, and at one hour I did just that. The dry nature of the plot, and the lack of any action lost my interest from the start. Some suspense hung in the air, and the movie seemed to edge closer to some complex connection between relative strangers; however, it was nothing so entertaining that kept me on the edge of my chair wanting to know how it would play out. If you need movies to capture your interest quickly as I do then I would not recommend devoting two hours of your time to Hugo. It feels like it's been a while since I wrote about a movie that I didn't like very much...it's about time I became more critical. Here's a trailer; maybe you can see why I thought this movie might be decent.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay finally. I like when you're more critical, it spices things up and makes everything less bland. And I still have no idea why this film won so many awards.
ReplyDeleteSo I see it's become a once a week thing with you.
ReplyDelete