Sunday, September 4, 2011

My Knee Hurts

I just banged my knee so hard on my coffee  table.  Wow, most excruciating pain I've felt in quite some time.  I've got a pretty high pain tolerance but this was bad.  I seriously thought I shattered my knee cap.  It was like I kneed a solid wood corner with full force (unintentionally of course) resulting in a total dead leg.  I'm lucky we have a couch right there (then again most coffee tables are right next to a couch but I'm just giving you a setting here) because I collapsed.  It was like total dead leg, me on the couch wailing like a little girl pain.  Looking back on it it's funny the things going through my head.

First was the injury.  I thought worst case scenario would be shattered knee gap and/or ligament damage i.e torn ACL, MCL, or PCL.    Best case scenario bruised knee.  I was about to reach for my phone and call for either a family member or an ambulance that's how bad it was.  When I calmed down a bit I decided instead to wait another thirty seconds and see if the pain would subside, and then I would attempt to get up and walk around.  Good thing it wasn't serious because when I got up to walk around I didn't fall flat on my face and I only experienced some minor tenderness as I bent my knee back and forth a few times. 

While simultaneously thinking about the injury I  was also thinking about the implications on my everyday life.  My first thought was student teaching.  Would I be able to stand and run class discussions or would I have to constantly sit down?  And would I have to get an elevator key and assistance to get my things from one classroom to the other.  Basically it would make student teaching even harder than it already is, hence would be a royal pain in my ass.  Then I thought about P90X and Tony.  Basically ever workout requires you to be on both feet moving around and a serious knee injury would make it quite difficult for me to continue with the program.  Then again, there is that guy in the plyo video with the prosthetic leg, but he's pretty badass.  I don't think I've reached that level of BA just yet.  Again, same as student teaching, P90X is hard enough, not trying to add on any more difficulty with having to exercise while recovering from a serious knee injury. 

Right now I'm feeling alright, some tenderness but nothing serious.  I'm in Starbucks about to do some work on student teaching, either procedural stuff like resume work or lesson planning, I haven't decided yet.  I'm not super-motivated but that'll have to change.  I really wanted to go to The Willows today.  I didn't go to my favorite escape once this past summer, as if that's any indication of how busy I kept myself this summer.  Maybe I'll swing by and walk around for a little bit on my way home, it's been too long.  But anyway, I really hope this won't be one of those injuries where I'll wake up tomorrow and I won't be able to bend my leg. 

I wonder if this is an example of the big guy bringing me back down to reality, showing me I'm not indestructible.  Not like I think that anyway, but sometimes I feel like he just likes to remind us of who's in charge every now and then.  Wow that makes me sound like a total religious nut, don't worry I'm not, more spiritual than anything.  Super religious people freak me out and make me feel really uncomfortable.  It's like oh hey I devote my life to god so therefore I'm better than you.  Sorry peeps but if God wanted us to devote our lives to him/her/non-gendered being I think this world would be more like a prison than a playground.  Then again, maybe my new found knee pain is just karma swinging back around.  Not cool, just because I try to be a good person all the time doesn't mean I should receive excruciating pain when I mess up every now and then.  I'm only human after all.  So to whoever runs this little merry-go-round known as karma, I demand a retrial and some goodness thrown my way.  For instance, winning that $1500.00 scholarship I applied for would be nice.  Make it happen karma boss, Yonni needs a payday.  Alright then time to go and be a professional...this ought to be a challenge.  


No comments:

Post a Comment