I get to teach a lesson on flash fiction in creative writing next week. Ballin'!!!! I'm pumped, should be excellent. I'm excited to share my work, but at the same time I don't want to model too much or they'll just copy what I've given them. I'm pumped for this. Now I just need to find some legit literature no it so I can make it look all professional. Shouldn't be too difficult. I'm so ahead on schoolwork right now which is really good being that Saturday is my bday and who should have to do work on their birthday.
I've recently gotten hooked onto the show Shameless on Showtime. It's really good; a buddy of mine recommended it a while back and I've recently gotten the chance to check it out. I don't know if it's for everyone but I find it highly entertaining. The general premise of the show involves a poor family of six children attempting to survive despite the fact that their degenerate, alcoholic father squanders away all of his government allocated money and disability payments on booze. The oldest sister Fiona (Emmy Rossum) is the female lead and for all intensive purposes, the matriarch of the Gallagher family. Fiona's other siblings attempt to contribute with whatever odd jobs they can but getting by on a daily basis provides a constant struggle for this unconventional and certainly dysfunctional family. I could see somebody who grew up in poverty or in a household with an abusive alcoholic not taking kindly to this show but I personally find it highly entertaining. As usual I've also developed a slight crush on the female lead, as I do with most shows and movies that I enjoy (and sometimes even those that I don't enjoy i.e Rosie Huntington-Whitley in Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon). I'm excited just thinking about when I can get home and watch the next episode.
I subscribed to livingsocial.com and I've been very happy with the results so far. If you haven't subscribed and you are a fan of saving money then I highly recommend you do so. It's free and provides great deals for quality services such as restaurant outings, yoga classes, bike tune-ups and more. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to purchase a deal for five yoga classes at $25 for a yoga studio on main street in Manayunk. Most classes range from $10-15 per class so that's saving at least 50%. I'm excited to give it a shot. A good friend of mine recommended livingsocial months ago and I finally developed the motivation to click twice and register. I hope that you find your motivation quicker than I did because this site is free and offers tons of great deals.
Bahh two more hours until my scheduled meeting with my adviser here at the B&N in Exton. Let me tell you, this is one of the nicest bookstores I've been to in a while. It's so clean and organized. Borders Wynnewood I miss you dearly but this store puts ours to shame. It's so clean and crisp; even the cafe is way nicer. All the book and magazine sections are so neat and clean. Too bad this place is so far away from home otherwise I would totally come here more often. This may have to be may far away escape. Hopefully if I get a job around here I can move into an apartment and then be closer just to this store. Hahaha wow that's pathetic, oh well what can I say I'm now totally dependent on having a huge bookstore close by. I've become addicted to the luxury and now that I don't have it I'm going through withdrawal. And as I'm writing this post I see one of my old regulars from the Cafe. How serendipitous. Love book stores. I'm convinced that I'll meet my future wife either in a bookstore or dancing at a bar/club (I credit Sam with that theory). I have a yearning to write creatively. Do I want to write another scene from a play or should I go for something else?
My favorite Chili Pepper song, Under the Bridge, just started playing on Pandora. It's raining and windy but otherwise a glorious day. It's all about positivity. Ever since I had a solid pep talk from a couple of people last week I've woken up saying "Today will be a great day," every single day. That shit works people, no joke. I'm about to make myself a wooden plaque and put it above my bedroom door so that I can see it every morning when I wake up.
Maybe I will write another scene...
Josh, 17, borrowed his parents car on a Friday night. His parents told him to be home, but he knew that meant 5 am because they'd be in bed and asleep by 10 pm. Josh knew it would be a wild night for him and his friends. There was a huge party downtown and then a rave in one of the old barns near Josh's house. They guys hit the party downtown first, trying to find some girls who may want to go to the rave after. Josh drinks and smokes some unknown things. The last thing he remembers is driving to the Rave. He wakes up alone and in the driver's seat of his car at 4 am. He's somewhere in between the rave and his house. Josh decides to run home before his parents wake up.
Josh creeps into the house while his older brother Toby is in the kitchen with his girlfriend Piper.
Toby: Mornin' little brother. Fun night?
Josh: Um...yeah sure. Mom and Dad up yet?
Toby: No way man, it's Saturday. They won't be up 'til like 7 or 8. What are you worried about, getting caught?
Piper: Relax Joshy, Tobes and me have been sneakin' out late since we were 16. You're fine.
Josh: Yeah, I guess so. I'm gonna go crash, I'll see you guys later.
Toby: Yo bro, hang on. Piper and I were gonna go grab some breakfast. You wanna come with?
Josh: Nah man, I'm good. Just tryin' to get some sleep. I'm wiped out you know?
Josh turns to go upstairs to bed.
Toby: Cool man. Josh! Aren't you forgetting something?
Josh: Huh?
Toby: Keys bro. Don't hold out on me. You got the car all night. How did you think we were gonna get there anyway? By walking? Dude diner's like five miles away.
Josh: Yeah...um....problem is there's almost no gas in it. You'll have to fill up.
Toby: That's fine, I just got paid. Keys?!
Josh: Shit bro, I can't I mean I can but, shit.
Piper: You alright Joshy? What's goin on? You in some kind of trouble?
Josh: Tobes I didn't mean to be an idiot, I swear-
Toby: STOP! Toby runs outside to look at the car and then runs back in. What the hell did you do with the car?
Josh: Dude, don't be mad. I crashed it on the way back from the rave. It's in the woods between Sherlock and Mayview Rd. I'll tell mom and dad.
Toby: You idiot. Why'd you crash? Were you wasted? Why would you drive wasted? I don't even do that right Pipes?
Piper: Josh this may be the wrong time but was anyone else in the car?
Josh: I don't think so, I mean it was dark but nobody else was in the car and I didn't see any blood.
Piper: Ok, Josh why don't you go upstairs. Wait, give me your cellphone.
Toby: What are you tryin' to pull.
Piper: Trust me ok. Josh give me your phone, go upstairs and get into bed.
Josh: Whatever you do just don't dig me into deeper shit then I'm already in.
Toby: Don't worry bro, can't really get any worse right? Yeah I probably shouldn't have said that. Oh well, it's cool man just go get in bed.
Josh goes upstairs and goes to bed. At 10 am his parents come in to wake him.
Josh's Dad: Wake up son. Toby told us what happened. There are a couple of police officers downstairs who want to talk to you. Why don't you get dressed and downstairs.
Josh: Police? What why?
Josh's Mom: It's ok hunny. Toby told us everything, it's going to be ok.
Josh: Ok, um, just let me get dressed I'll be right down.
2 Minutes Later. Josh is walking down the stairs and Toby stops him.
Josh: Thank you very fucking much for your help. The police dude?
Toby: Oh hey Josh. They found your phone in the car. I think you got a text, check your messages (wink).
Josh: Huh? (Josh opens his messages. He has one from a random prepaid cellphone that reads: You stopped at the rave to pick up your friend Bill. We called Bill he's on board. You got out of the car for a second to see where he was, someone hopped in, and stole the car. You heard the car was ditched at the High School so you walked all the way there. When you realized it wasn't there it was already 2 am. At that point you walked home. You left your phone in the car. When you got home you told us about it and we said we'd call the cops. Delete this now and stick to the story. ) As Josh closes his phone he is face to face with two police officers.
Police Officer 1: Hi Josh, we've got some questions for you. Shouldn't take too long.
Josh: Ok sure.
Police Officer 1: So you say the car was stolen from the Rave at the old Miller's Barn. What time was that at?
Josh: Ummm, I think around 12:45-1 am. I don't really know cuz I don't wear a watch and I left my phone in my car. My bro just gave it back to me.
Police Officer 2: Why were you out that late? You're curfew is midnight according to your parents. Plus as a junior driver you shouldn't be out past 11:30 anyway.
Josh: I actually had gotten home but my buddy Bill called me saying he needed a ride. He doesn't usually ask favors so I figured it was urgent. I thought no big deal I'll just pick Bill up and take him home.
Police Officer 2: Ok so you get there and then what happened?
Josh: I parked out front and got out of the car for a second to look around for Bill. I left it running like a dumbass but I didn't see anyone around so I didn't think it was a big deal. I was probably just looking around for a minute or so and then I heard the door slam shut. I turned around and the dude flipped on the high beams blinding me; I never got a good look. Then he tore off back the way he came.
Police Officer 1: So where was Bill during all this?
Josh: I don't know, I never met up with him. He was probably messed up and just got a ride from someone else and forgot to tell me.
Police Officer 2: So you knew the car was stolen, why didn't you borrow someone's phone and call the police?
Josh: I didn't see anyone around so I started walking home.
Police Officer 1: Nobody around, but it was a Rave. There should have been lots of people?
Josh: Yeah, I guess it was a weak turnout. I mean you guys didn't bust one last night, did you?
Police Officer 2: There were a couple big parties on campus we had to bust up, I guess we missed the rave. Ok so you're walking home. You don't live far from Miller's Barn, why's it take you three hours.
Josh: As I was walking I ran into my buddy Bill. He got a ride from some random people. He said that he had just come from the High School and he saw my parent's car ditched there. His ride was going the opposite way so I said I'd just walk there and get my car. By the time I got there the car was gone and I had walked an hour there. I just turned around and walked home after that.
Police Officer 1: So genius, why didn't you borrow Bill's phone and call us, or your parents, or anyone.
Josh: Let me ask you something? If you were 17 and were about to be caught for losing a car would you be rushing to tell your parents or the authorities?
Police Officer 2: Hah that's a good point kid. Still why didn't you call?
Josh: I saw my shot to get my car back; without telling my parents. I figure some punks took it for a joyride and then ditched it. At that point I hoped I could just get it home and nobody would know.
Police Officer 1: Ok so you get there, no car. Then what?
Josh: I came home. What else could I do?
Police Officer 2: And that's when you told your brother about what happened. He told you to take it easy and he called us. End of the story right?
Josh: I guess, I mean that's all I've got for you.
Police Officer 1: So you know nothing about this anonymous tip we got from a prepaid cellphone about the exact location of the car.
Josh: This is the only cellphone I have and it's not prepaid. You can even check the call history.
Police Officer 1: Ok give it here.
Josh realizes he never deleted the text message. It's over, he knows he's caught.
Police Officer 2: Oh here give me that. Ok call history, nope no calls to the station. Last call was to a Bill. Looks like that part holds up.
Police Officer 1: Well kid, it adds up. Weird night but your story adds up to what your brother told us and what that Bill kid said.
Piper sticks her head around the corner and winks at Josh.
Police Officer 1: One last thing?
Josh: Yeah?
Police Officer 2: Do you know who this girl is? Hold up a Driver's license with the photo of an eighteen year old girl named Amber Strofsky.
Josh: No, who's that?
Police Officer 2: We found her body in the trunk of your car. No leads, yet. We'll have to take some prints from you but it must have been the guys who stole your car. Ok Josh?
Police: Ok Josh?
To be continued...
It's only taken me two weeks to get around to reading it, my bad. You've started doing the thing that I do where I talk about twenty million things in a single post. I recommend not doing that or if you are don't share it with your scenes. It's too much to take it at once. I know I should listen to my own advice right now.
ReplyDeleteYour scene is funny. I like that there is the possibility of this happening but still having it be something that usually wouldn't. You still need to work on tone and character development, but they are improving. Continue this one, I'm curious about where you're going to take it next.
Also I gave you a new blog name so that it looks like I don't just have one friend.