Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Couple of Indie-ish Movies

I don't know if you can quite consider these two recent movies indies-I don't want to offend anyone-but often times I find any movie that wasn't widely released across the nation an indie film.  I'll first begin with a movie that I really enjoyed, The Art of Getting By featuring Freddie Highmore and Emma Roberts.  These two have an excellent on screen chemistry, displaying an awkward yet cute teen romance.  Both characters grow throughout the film as they overcome obstacles that anyone can relate to.  I loved this movie because of how realistic it could be.  The music, scenery, and cinematography were all well done, and all of the characters played their roles well.  This surprising drama features two very talented young actors who both took on challenging roles that illustrated deeper ideas and themes.  If you haven't figured it out yet I really liked this movie, so much so that I watched it twice in one day.  I wholeheartedly recommend The Art of Getting By.


By now you may be thinking that I only review movies that I like.  Maybe I've just seen a lot of good movies lately, that is until last night.  I recently ordered a movie called Skateland from Netflix.  This movie appeared entertaining based on the trailer, but in reality it disappointed me.  This movie was very plain with nothing special about it.  There was no hook at the beginning, very minor character development, and a slow and boring plot.  As I watched it I kept on wondering when it would pick up but it never did; at least after 40 minutes it still didn't pick up which is when I turned it off.  Does that mean I can't give a complete review? Maybe but if a movie is so bad that I don't care to see how it ends it's probably not worth your time.  Everything in this movie seemed cliche and underdeveloped.  I hate to say this, but this movie almost focused on the insignificant parts of life that wouldn't be worth filming.  For instance, movies entertain us because they either focus on the best or most exciting part of our real lives, or because they focus on a fictitious element that we find highly entertaining.   This one focused on neither, and in result it flopped.  Don't waste your time on Skateland.  I'll attach a trailer only to see if one of you can tell me why I wanted to see this movie in the first place. 

2 comments:

  1. You know my thoughts already about The Art of Getting By by Skateland looks good as long as it's better than Adventureland which would have been a great movie if Kristen Stewart hadn't been in it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adventureland was solid and Skateland sucked. So bad I didn't even finish it, so don't waste your time.

    ReplyDelete