Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Few Recommendations

As my steady readership (I like to refer to you as the two and the proud) knows, I often give my suggestions for upcoming movies.  I don't often like to break from tradition, so here are a couple of movies that I may or may not endorse. 

Lockout starring Guy Pearce and Maggie Grace involves a futuristic space prison that is taken over by its prisoners precisely when the President's daughter visits for a goodwill mission.  As in all blockbuster action movies, the authorities can only send one man to solve this catastrophe, and in this case it happens to be a bad ass Guy Pearce.  On paper this movie looks pretty rediculous and awful, but as I continue to watch the trailer and clips I become more interested in seeing this movie.  Maggie Grace usually does a nice job (and she's not bad to look at), and I believe Guy Pearce to be one of Hollywood's more underrated actors.  If you're currently hungering for a shoot-em-up, action-packed movie (and if you have the $11 to spend on a movie ticket), this one should be right up your alley.  Here's the trailer for your viewing pleasure:


My next prediction may shock my avid readers.  Here it goes: I think The Avengers is going to be a huge let down.  Before you say I've gone nuts let's think about this.  This movie is packed with A-list actors (At least nine that I can think of), all of which demand considerable salaries.  On top of that, the studio can bank on the fact that each individual superhero has a pretty solid following, and all of those fans combined will likely flock to The Avengers.  My bold prediction is the now common Hollywood phenomenon of jam-packing a movie full of stars and skimping on the writing, directing, and effects.  I predict that this movie will have one major action sequence, and that the rest will be poorly written and drawn-out drudgery.  I pray that I'm wrong because I really like a lot of the actors and characters in this movie, but it's got bust written all over it.  Plus, it's the third different guy playing the Hulk, possibly my favorite comic book character.  Gotta have some stability there people.  Anyway, consider my advice to skip this one when it's in theaters.

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you liked the hulk. I don't think I'll see Lock Out but I am looking forwards to The Avengers even if it does end up sucking.

    ReplyDelete