Anyway, even in my semiconscious state I'm ecstatic about some of the movies that will come out this summer and fall. The summer always provides a few great blockbusters i.e The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spiderman. Of course there's always The Avengers, which I was apparently dead wrong about. Biggest opening weekend ever...nice miss there Yonni saying it would be a bust. Still, I want to see it so I can make my own judgement. That aside, I've provided a few trailers of movies that I think will rock your socks just as much as those loveable super heroes and comic book characters.
Argo, the third movie directed by Ben Affleck, details a government plot to rescue a small number of US Embassy workers during the Iran hostage crisis in the eighties. The movie looks very well done, and features a cast with seasoned actors such as Ben Affleck, Alan Arkin, and John Goodman. Let's be honest people, Ben Affleck's directed two movies and they both killed it. You better believe I'm pumped for this movie, as I've been anxiously awaiting the next Affleck film since I saw The Town.
Critics have said that Killer Joe may be Matthew McConaughey's best performance ever, and the film intrigues me. I love how the trailer doesn't give away the full plot line of the movie, preparing any would be viewer for a film that is sure to have intense and unexpected plot twists. The basic plot involves a young man played by Emile Hirsch who looks to hire a contract killer (McConaughey) to kill his mother so that he can collect insurance money. As the plot grows it seems that the contract and the killer are far from what any of the involved individuals expected, leading to numerous unpleasant surprises. The movie looks different and somewhat quirky, but I still think it's going to emerge as a dark horse treat for avid fans of the cinema. Don't short change this film; I have a good feeling about it. It reminds me of some of the earlier Tarantino films like Pulp Fiction. And don't crucify me for making a Tarantino comparison, at least not until you see Killer Joe.
I could be literary and proper about the next movie, but that would be hiding my true feelings and emotions. Gangster Squad looks fucking awesome. Every few years a movie about organized crime comes out the captures even the interest of critics and the Academy because it's that good i.e American Gangster and L.A. Confidential. I think this could be the next film to join the class of organized crime movies that are not simply shoot-em-up action movies but intricate and well made crime stories. The cast is loaded with seasoned veterans of Hollywood like Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, and Josh Brolin while adding in some of Hollywood's great young talent in Ryan Gosling, Giovanni Ribisi, along with the beautiful Emma Stone. The movie has all of the ingredients to kill, and I have no doubts that it will do just that. Out of these three movies I think I'm most excited for Gangster Squad. Expect to see plenty of advertisements for this movie, it's going to be huge.
I am quite disappointed that Expendables II did make this list.
ReplyDeleteWords alone cannot give due credit to that masterpiece. If anything it needs it's own personal blog.
ReplyDelete