Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Descendants

I'd wanted to see this movie for a while by the time I got around to watching it.  There were plenty of nights where I could have on-demanded the movie, but instead I settled for waiting patiently until it made its way up my Netflix Queue.  I must say, sad F-ing movie.  So sad to the point that I wondered why they even bothered making it.  Clooney's great, and I'll give my full attention to any movie with him in it, but this one was just so depressing.  Unless you legitimately enjoy super sad movies I wouldn't recommend this one.  Besides the sadness and the Cloonster there wasn't much else to take away.  One cool thing about the movie is that it gives you an alternative view of life in Hawaii.  The tragedy at least lets you see that horrible things can even happen in paradise.

Maybe this movie raises the bigger question of the overall point of sad movies.  Are they meant to make us appreciate what we have? Or are they meant to knock us out of our everyday stupor that is life to bring us back down to earth and realize our impending mortality and the fact that horrible things are happening in the world every day? I'd rather just remain in the stupor and think about happy stuff, but hey that's just me.  I'll deal with my own tragedies when they come my way, and I'll avoid the fictional ones at all costs.  In short, sad movies aren't for me.  Chime in, here's a trailer for the movie that I recommend you shouldn't go see.


2 comments:

  1. I saw this about a month ago at my aunt Val's house. We all sat around and watched it one night and pretty much agreed with your sentiments. Other than Clooney I felt that the younger sister had potential as a character and Lance really enjoyed the scene where the grandfather hit the boyfriend. He kept quoting it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a solid scene: "I'm going to hit you...(punch)."

    ReplyDelete