Monday, June 18, 2012

Mid-Year Resolutions

This past turn of the year I didn't establish ironclad New Year's resolutions mostly because they would have been very similar to my resolutions from the past two years: stay positive, get in great shape, be respectful to everyone. I couldn't think of anything new so I just kept things the same.  I've finally come up with some new, and pretty simple resolutions for the rest of the year.

Resolution 1: Stop cursing so much.  I've been cursing a lot lately, and I mean a lot.  I just get out of bed or open the car door and for no particular reason at all I just drop an f-bomb, almost because I can.  It's weird, because when I'm teaching I'm fine, but for some reason I've been cursing a lot in my home life.  It's just something that I'd like to change because it's not exactly classy and doesn't reflect well on an educator of young people.  Plus, as a writer and teacher of English I should have an advanced enough vocabulary that I don't have to resort to four letter profanities.  This one has been tougher than I imagined, but it's a work in progress.

Resolution 2: Remember people's named when they introduce themselves.  I am absolutely horrible at this, especially when I go into schools to sub.  So many nice people introduce themselves, and I always immediately forget their names.  One thing I want to start is repeating people's names after they tell them to me.  I think that way I may have an easier time remembering people's names because I'm terrible at this, and I feel even worse when they remember my name and I forget theirs.   Plus, this is super important in job interviews and in future professional settings, so I'll have to put some more effort into this one.

Resolution 3: Eye contact.  I find that I often don't use enough eye contact when I'm speaking to people and this can be construed as disrespectful.  I don't know what it is, but if I'm looking into someone's eyes for long enough I just find it gets awkward and I have to look away.  After a while I realize that I haven't re-established eye contact and then I feel like an idiot.  I think that I just need to get over my feeling that prolonged eye contact is awkward, especially in professional settings, because in this country it's actually considered respectful. 

It seems that all of my resolutions somewhat relate to being a professional.  Maybe that's what this is about.  Maybe I'm subconsciously paranoid about future interviews, and I want to make sure that I'm at the top of my game for the time that they come along.  Who knows, but in any case I think they're solid and achievable mid-year resolutions.  Only issue us that I only have half a year to achieve them, but no worries.  Well that was a change of pace from my usual reviews, thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment