Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Finished A song of Ice and Fire...Disappointed Much?

Please don't read into my title too much, and don't take it as sarcasm.  Last week I finished the Sci-Fi Fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire (Better known as the Game of Thrones books).  Each of these books is at least 900 pages, and I'm not a quick reader so it was quite a laborious task.  After finishing the marathon that was reading those books I sat dumbfounded and annoyed with the amount of cliffhangers and unanswered questions.

My biggest issue with the series is simply that the author, George R.R Martin introduces too many new characters and story lines in each new book to the point that it's nearly impossible to bring the story to the end.  Is that the point? That the Game of Thrones never ends? I guess that's a possibility, and a logical one at that.  As long as there's a throne it seems that different factions would be fighting for control over it, yet that doesn't solve my query of wanting answers.  Is it so much to ask that one character wins out and just destroys everyone else, while at the same time winning over the love of Westeros.  I mean come on, it was all perfectly set up for Danaerys to sail back with her dragons and kick ass.  But no, we just have to throw all of these curve balls, suitors, and would be kings into the mix.  I don't like it, not one bit.  Hopefully you can sense my anger and frustration through my passionless writing. 

4 comments:

  1. I very much agree with you about Martin's storytelling. It's getting very hard to keep the story lines straight because of the added characters and the lack of action concerning other characters like Dany. I'm hoping the last two books will really step it up otherwise I will be sorely disappointed with the series. And congratulations on finishing you laborious task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I feel like I deserve a medal or a trophy, and at the same time I kind of feel like I wasted my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have given up on ASOIF. Too many storylines and no conclusions. It has become a trial to read. I don't think Martin knows how to end the series. It has become incredibly self indulgent and I will not read anymore. That is, if there ever is another book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure, it's gotten a bit complicated. I'll be happy to continue watching the HBO series, but I finished the fifth book a little over a year ago, and I barely remember where the story is going. And sorry for the much delayed response to your comment.

    ReplyDelete