Monday, November 5, 2012

Why was I Fooled Again?

This weekend I watched Wrath of the Titans, the not-so-stellar sequel to the other let down, Clash of the Titans (2010).  I believe I slammed this movie in a previous post, but I'm currently too lazy and dedicated to this post to look back and see.  In case I didn't already criticize Clash of the Titans, it's a movie that represents this new Hollywood blockbuster philosophy that if you throw enough A-list stars into a movie (Liam Neeson, Sam Worthington, Ralph Fiennes) and add enough action and explosions into a two minute trailer, you'll have a blockbuster that will net you at least $200 million (in this case $493 million, c/o imdb.com).  The result of course is a poorly written and poorly directed movie that leaves you yearning for so much more based on the trailer.  I call these untrue trailers many things, and today I'll dub this movie an example of "Trailer Fraud." Trailer Fraud (N): A movie that falsely represents itself as excellent through a two-and-a-half minute preview trailer, when in reality it falls far short of expectations.

What's worse than me falling for trailer fraud with Clash, is that I fell for it again with Wrath of the Titans.  For some ridiculous reason I had a gut feeling that Wrath of the Titans would be one of those rare sequels that actually overshadows the original.  Once again I'm wrong, and wasted another hour and a half of my movie watching time when I should have known better.  What's that old proverb that my dad loves to throw into conversations whenever he can, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."  That's about right.  Bottom line don't waste your time with Wrath of the Titans.  This movie features nothing exciting, and even the acting is marginal.  Hopefully I'll learn from this mistake in the future.  And below, a great example of trailer fraud:


 

No comments:

Post a Comment