Friday, July 29, 2011

I'm Going to hit you...With a Lawsuit...?

Yeah, yesterday a customer literally said those words to one of the manager's from work.  And what spawned such a ridiculous reaction you ask?  The customer's wife was sitting on a table reading a book.  For those of you who have forgotten, tables are not the appropriate furniture for sitting; chairs and stools are for sitting.  Even sitting in the floor is ok, but not sitting on a table, especially a table that has books or is supposed to have books on it.  So anyway my manager told the lady that she couldn't sit on the table and what does she do?  Runs and tells her hubby.  This guy then walks up to my manager and says, 'I'm going to hit you.'  At that moment my manager thought, 'awesome.'  My manager is a good sized guy who could certainly hold his own in a fight so in his mind he thought, 'bring it.'  As my manager was gearing up for a round of fisticuffs, the guy expanded on his threat by saying ,'I'm going to hit you with a lawsuit.'

I think it's hilarious how so often in this country people's answers to disputes are law suits.  I'll sure you for this and I'll sue you for that, so ridiculous.  I mean who really has the time and effort to go to a lawyer, have them file a claim, and then take a day off of work to go to court from some miniscule issue that may result in a tiny payout that would most likely be less than a normal day's salary.  It just bothers me how instead of just stopping and talking out a dispute people have to draw it out to point the court proceedings are necessary.  Or how about this rude main line man and wife:  just walk away.  Ok, so a retail manager asked you not to do something and you disagree.  You have every right to, it's ok, now how about you just walk away and go home.

Really it's just sad how poorly people in this country discuss and solve disputes.  A simple dispute such as this could be settles with a civilized conversation.  But who has those types of conversations anymore, especially on the main line.  For some reason most people think they are superior to their fellow man.  I don't know where this comes from, but especially on the main line people just feel like they are of higher class, and therefore more entitled and better people.  So naturally, better people don't need to apologize, admit that they may have been wrong, show any manners, or act kindly to their fellow insubordinates.  Instead, it's perfectly ok to go around and talk down to people, threatening them with legal action for a simple verbal misunderstanding.  Every day I work on the Main Line I can't stand it more.  Areas like the Main Line represent  everything that's wrong with this country.  The richest, most powerful people, get all of the tax breaks, bankrupt the economy, and then continue to live the high life and treat everyone else like crap.  I can't stand superiority and I can't stand rich snobby people.  So often I think that I never want to be rich because I'm afraid what massive sums of money will do to my personality.   I'm going on tangents which means bedtime.     

Oh wait, funny story from work today.  So this guy is in the fiction/literature section and asks where he can find books on J.R.R Tolkien (author, wrote Lord of the Rings series).  I direct the guy to science fiction and fantasy and he gives me this look like I completely offended him.  I think he said something like, 'Science fiction, what?'  Then my coworker chimed in that it was also a section on fantasy and he replied, 'Now that I can buy, but not the whole section.'  I was perplexed by this guy's reaction and I took a little while to process it.  Then I asked my coworker, 'I'm sorry but are orcs real?  What about elves or Hobbits?  Because as far as I know they're mythical creatures and therefore belong in the science fiction and fantasy section.'  I mean seriously guy, you want stories about orcs and goblins in regular fiction?  Sure they're well written, and I guess you could make the argument, but is it really something to get offended over.  I feel bad for this guys kids because you know he's totally the type of guy to dress up and drag them to comic-con against their will.  Oh well, it cracked me up for the rest of the day.  Ok now bedtime for real. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God! Was it Matt? Because in my mind it was Matt, which is making mind laugh A LOT right now. As much as I hate the Main Line, it does entertain me every now and again. And yes Jon orcs are real. So are elves and fairies. Haven't you ever seen Orlando Bloom in real life??? HAHAHA I love people so much sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I don't like to name names in my blog. We'll discuss that matter more in person. And forgive me that I can't keep my mythical creatures straight, I guess I'm more sheltered than I originally thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to take a trip to a shire sometime.

    ReplyDelete