Saturday, July 23, 2011

Am I too Picky About my Hair?

Today was a fun filled day.  I slept in late which I don't usually due and then I set out to take on the day.  First order of business was a haircut.  Now I don't know what it is about haircuts, but I think it's so hard to find a place that gives a good haircut.  My haircut is pretty simple, just a 1 1/2 on the sides and finger length on top with the sides blended into the top.  Nothing fancy, yet so often barbers and/or hair dressers manage to mess it up.  Maybe I'm too picky but I've found that more often I leave unsatisfied with my haircut.  Today the lady did a nice job, except for a row of stray hairs on the left side of my head, which I later had mommy dearest clip off for me.  But for the most part I'm usually very unsatisfied with my haircut.  For example, I got my haircut in Israel, told the guy exactly what I wanted and he butchered my head.  Certainly wasn't the first time and it probably won't be the last.  Overall I've found success at two places: one is in state college and the other is in htown but it ends up costing me between 30-40 dollars a cut.  So I've found this other place and they do a decent enough job, but still there's always a little something I'm not happy with.  Maybe I'm just too picky, I mean it's just hair right?  To me, it's just the fact that I have such a simple haircut yet it is so often messed up.  Am I alone in my struggles to find a good yet affordable haircut?  Leave thoughts.

Today I also started a new book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.  I'm probably the last person in the world to finally read this book, but that's how I usually am with trendy things.  Anyway it's pretty good so far, I'm about 170 pages in.  People have told me that it takes a little while to pick up and I can see that so far from my reading.  It's nice though because based on the recommendations of others and the foreshadowing by the author I know that things are really going to heat up. I spent a few hours in my trusty starbucks that I haven't been to in a little while.  I brought the computer as well, thought I might make some headway on the novel, but the book really captivated my attention.  No plans for tonight so I may very well continue on with my reading. 

After Starbucks I came home to workout, but before my workout I found out Amy Winehouse died.  Crazy right?  I mean she was notorious for drug and alcohol problems, but still always a shocker to hear of such a young celebrity meeting their end.  And at 27 too; that crazy age 27.  I'm not really superstitious but it's very peculiar how many famous celebrities have died at age 27.  Anyway I did my P90X chest and back today.  I was supposed to do an ab exercise after but my body was absolutely spent by the end of the chest and back workout.  I even had to take a slight break towards the end, and I knew the the ab workout on top of the 50 minute chest and back session would have been too much.  With fitness it's very important to listen to our bodies and know when we've had enough.  For instance, if you vomit during a workout, not a good sign.  It means you're pushing your body too hard and your body is telling you enough.  Same thing if  pass out of fall flat on your face while doing pushups or some other exercise.  It's really important to listen to your body, otherwise you could be seriously injured.  A friend of mine who's been doing a lot of yoga lately (7 days a week) told me that during a recent session she found that she could barely do one of the easier poses, which surprised her.  I told her that seven days a week is too much and that we all need a rest day.  Her body finally gave way and told her that she needed a break, and I'm glad to report that she heeded my advice.  For those of you who work out or are on the verge of beginning to workout make sure that you listen to your body, and don't push yourself to the point of physical injury or harm.  We weren't all born to be professional athletes and there's nothing wrong with that. 

Ok I know this is getting wordy, let me just finish up with a quick movie review.  Tonight I watched Kill the Irishman with Ray Stevenson and Christopher Walken.  If you like movies about organized crime I would recommend this film based on a true story about organized crime in Cleveland.  Lots of action with a well written plot and good acting to go along with it.  The movie did a fine job representing the clashes that occur when different members of organized crime communities fight over who will run the illegal businesses of a given city.  There are a couple pretty ladies in the film as well.  I'm a fan of Laura Ramsey who also appears in The Covenant, and She's the Man.  I'm not usually a fan of blondes but Ramsey is one of those women who could change my preference.  Let's see if I can find a nice picture...



Pretty right?  I tried to choose a picture of her not looking too done up.  When she has a lot of makeup on and her hair is pulled back she actually looks a lot like Christina Appelgate.  Anyway, pretty girl, good movie, definitely see Kill the Irishman. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay looks like you had a very productive day! And your haircut looks very nice too, you should always make it look like that all of the time! You have a decent reading list and movie list, I'm not going to lie it has influenced mine a little bit. P90X is awesome! Keep up the awesomeness!!!

    ReplyDelete