Friday, December 17, 2010

Eagles vs. Giants in a huge NFC East Showdown

So I originally intended to write two blogs, one for regular every day happenings and another one for sports and specifically football.  I set up a football blog today as well but that site was quite confusing so I think I'm just going to use this one as a double forum unless I receive a significant amount of opposition.  In any case, did I mention that I am a huge football fan? Well I am, I believe that American Football is the best game on earth and watching it gives me great joy.  My teams of choice are the Philadelphia Eagles for the NFL and the Penn State Nittany Lions for NCAA Subdivision (Formerly Division I-A)College Football.  Really I enjoy any football when the game is played well but as a fan you've got to choose a team and those are mine.  I have often dreamed of becoming or sportswriter or sportscaster and I sometimes regret not following that career path with my undergraduate studies.  If you're reading this ESPN or Comcast Sportsnet and are looking for a football analyst feel free to contact me for an interview.

Anyway down to business, this week the mighty Philadelphia Eagles travel to the disgusting swamplands of New Jersey to face the New York Giants (doesn't make sense I know, a New York Team that plays in Jersey).  As much as I detest the Giants and the adolescent boy who runs their offense I must admit that they have a strong team this year.  They have plenty of talent on the offense with a young group of wide receivers who can catch the ball well and two experienced running backs who have had some success in the league.  They have one of the best if not the best front-fours in the entire NFL and got to Michael Vick a lot in the first meeting.  Regardless, the Giants usually finish the year poorly, and I personally believe that neither Peyton nor Eli Manning (Giants QB) is a cold weather quarterback, growing up in the deep south and playing their college ball there.  I think that the Giants secondary is also very vulnerable and in the first meeting the Eagles shot themselves in the foot with numerous dropped passes.  They have nobody who can match up with Maclin and Jackson one-on-one and I see Maclin looking to bounce back after a disappointing performance last week.  The Giants are banged up, missing wide receiver Steve Smith and Mario Manningham is not 100 percent.  Hakeem Nicks is still a talented receiver but the Eagles defense did a nice job last week against the Dallas wide outs and I see that staying the same for this week.  You may think I'm crazy but I feel like the defense is improving, as they showed lots of different looks last week.  They've reduced third down blitzes as well which I believe only benefits them.  Overall I am not too concerned about this game, I see a similar outcome to the first game with the Eagles winning by 13.  My score prediction is Eagles 30 Giants 13, feel free to comment with your thoughts.  

2 comments:

  1. I do have a comment about this blog post. My comment is that i agree with your analysis. The only thing is I think you forgot about the strong running game of the Giants and the Eagles Lesean McCoy. The Eagles also have a rookie middle linebacker starting which could cause problems with the run defense along with the covering of the tight end. This matchup i believe will be much closer with the Eagles pulling it out 23-21.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very solid arguments, I did forget about Bradley's injury. I still feel that they will be able to contain the Giants run game and hopefully Ernie Sims will have coverage duties on the tight end. I just have a feeling they are going to play well this game.

    ReplyDelete