Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Travelling to the Tropics

I always wondered how it would feel to spend the holidays in a tropical climate.  In a few hours I will experience Christmas in the tropics when my flight touches down in sunny Florida.  My father moved to Florida in February and I will be traveling with my sister to see him.  You hear so often about the horror stories of holiday travel; especially the chaos in airports.  I'm actually looking forward to all of the shenanigans people will be pulling due to the increased volume and urgency of travel during this time of year.  Hopefully I will witness some memorable outbursts that I can share with everyone. 

In any case I look forward to my temporary escape from the cold weather; sorry to rub it in your face if you're stuck in PA or if you're further north.  I once thought that at the earliest possible opportunity I would leave this place for a more tropical climate.  For instance, if I were to pen a best-seller or win the lottery I could buy some lovely beachfront property in Key West, or possibly Maui (Hawaii).  I have since realized that although a change in climate can be pleasant, a life without the important people in our lives would be colder than any Mid-Atlantic winter.  The warmth in life is not in the weather but in those we hold dear.  Spend the holidays with those you cherish most, and reflect on all of the wonderful things in your life.  And if you can't be with the people who you love dearly for any reason (because your large extended family is more frustrating/annoying than loving), there's always eggnog or your drink of choice to get you back to your happy place ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment