I remember the times earlier in my childhood when it seemed like the only people who had cellular phones were high powered business men and women. Now you see every man, woman, and many children using their phones everywhere they go, constantly talking, texting, or partaking in some other function of their smart phones (apps, games, etc). Sure it's nice to talk to those we care about when they are not right in front of us, and cell phones allow us to do this anywhere we have service. I'm not completely against cell phones, I even have a Blackberry, showing that I not only have a cell phone but a smart phone. In reality I really don't need the machine; I bought it solely for the purpose of promptly responding to my graduate school email account (the pressing situation that has required such a prompt response has not yet presented itself). I'm not against cell phones, and I will acknowledge that they make life far easier for many people. Simply put, I wonder if people remember that they were able to survive just fine without cell phones.
So often I'll see people who constantly have their phones out when in the company of others, texting, or playing on certain applications. Some of those same people would freak out if they misplaced their phone, as if their lives couldn't go on if they did not have a phone on their person. I try to distance myself from reliance on a phone from time to time. For instance, today I went to Starbucks and read for about 3 hours. I turned my phone on vibrate and left it in my jacket pocket so that I would not be disturbed my any calls or texts. These times can be very relaxing, knowing that nobody that you actually know can or will bother you for the duration of time you choose to ignore your phone. Some people prefer the possibility of being contacted at any time of the day; I am not amongst those. At some points I find it very important to take alone time for yourself with no distractions from others to simply enjoy life, and utilize self-reflection.
Then again, I could just be a pessimist because in my social circle I receive the least amount of calls or texts. When out with friends most of the other people are constantly buzzing or beeping while my phone sits silently in my pocket with no new alerts to share. If my phone was contacted more often I may fancy the device more, yet presently my phone is rarely utilized or necessary. In any case I think it's important for everyone to take alone time every now and then and have some personal self-reflection that does not involve work or school. Turn off your phone, computer, fax machine, and any other medium of technology that allows others to contact you. Relax and reflect on the positives in life, and how you can change any of the negative aspects that you have control over. Humans existed for centuries and millenia before all of our current technology existed and sometimes I fear that we have become too reliant on such technology. Every once in a while leave the phone at home, and embrace the world as we once did.
Well jon my friend i hope you arent refering to me about my love affair for angry birds. Sometimes it is relaxing to me to sit in my room and play angry birds or stuff like that. I can no problem go without a cellphone for a while, but bro how would i get in touch with you my smoke signals never work. I think you should play some angry birds you may enjoy it too.
ReplyDeleteAngry birds does seem quite addicting. You did influence this post although it was not your addiction with angry birds but your Christmas tradition with Sam that I so admire. Cooking dinner and spending the day together with your phones off, such a great idea.
ReplyDelete