I finished another book today, go figure. This time I took a recommendation from a Starbucks barista and read the book The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Maslow. I took the recommendation based on this barista's claim that she simply could not put this book down and finished it in one sitting. Although I didn't share her necessity to finish the book all at once, and at times I even debated putting it down, I still think that the book ended well. It's a story about a retired mafia hitman who unwillingly is brought back into the game and has to fight for his life while at the same time trying to protect his family and find out why people are trying to kill him. Throughout the story the protagonist Frank Machiano, or Frankie Machine, distinguishes himself from his contemporaries as a mobster who still follows the 'old ways' and attempts to live a life as a criminal with morals; as much as that's an oxymoron. As the reader you naturally begin to get behind that protagonist and glorify his actions even if they do involve assaults and killing.
I guess this was where I had issues with the story. I'm never a fan of glorifying criminals, and placing some above others. Sure some criminals have moral codes and don't kill women and children, civilians, or things along those lines, but in the end they are still criminals. The Frankie Machine character bothered me because while everyone around him was violated the so called rules and acting out of line he would always keep his composure and stick to his morals. I wonder then why did he ever involve himself in organized crime in the first place. He eventually went completely legit but it just seems like he could have always been a legitimate businessman and he would have never been mixed up with all of the crime. I'm sure his reputation as the ultimate badass hitman didn't hurt his command and reputation as a strong leader and businessman but over time couldn't he have developed the same type of reputation by going legit? I don't know, I just thought the character was flawed in the sense that if he was so against all of this wrong-doing and sticking to rules, why did he go into organized crime in the first place.
I'd recommend this book too people who like mysteries and/or thrillers, although this one wasn't too difficult to crack. In addition people who like mysteries/thrillers involving the mafia might particularly enjoy this book. I didn't find myself hooked to it but overall it turned out to be a pretty good story with a nice ending. It's got some good action and an interesting plot. Winslow also does a great job describing the whole history of the Frankie Machine character and what he went through as a marine and as a hitman that turned him into a guy that all of the old school mobsters had respect for. The fact that I'm obsessed with Larsson right now probably takes away from my enjoyment of this book, especially since lately all I've wanted to do is read The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Still, Frankie Machine was an enjoyable read but still slightly a disappointed as I went into it thinking that I wouldn't be able to put this book down.
No comments:
Post a Comment