Thursday, August 25, 2011

Today Was a Good Day

I made a decision at work today: I would no longer let the liquidation make work a miserable experience for me.  Ever since I found out that we were liquidating I've really hated coming to work and I think I make it pretty obvious.  I used to never mind my job but for the past month I've been welcoming my last day of work.  Being that I work 5 days a week for about 8 hours a day I think it's taken a toll on me.  I've even gotten these new headaches that I'm convinced are directly related to my distaste for being at work, tension headaches I think.  Anyway, I was at register today and I was thinking, 'This isn't me.  I'm not a miserable person, I'm a happy guy.  Who cares if this place is closing, I should be happy regardless.'  And that's all it took.  No need to brood or frown, or be negative because it doesn't matter.  Sure it's a shame that a bookstore is going bye bye but I don't think it reflects societies shift from reading paper books.  People still read and I think we have a bright future, the human race that is (as long as Bachmann and Palin have nothing to say about it). I just thought I was sick of being at work and hating it, so I stopped.  Hence it was a good day. 

Besides that I ended my day with some preseason football and Jersey Shore with Kyle.  Love the show and the beach.  I got to enjoy the beach yesterday and it was lovely.  Island beach state Park is majestic, definitely the nicest beach in Jersey.  The water is actually blue, not brown, and the beach is clean and generally uncrowded.  I absolutely love it there and it's perfect for the kind of beach going I prefer.  My beach day is all about games, reading, swimming, and snacks.  I don't need the boardwalk or the crowds, just a cooler, a book, and a frisbee and I'm good to go.  Cards can be fun too, as Devon taught me earlier this year.  Such a fan of the state park, I'm excited to go back next year. 

Unit planning has been difficult but I'm looking to make some good progress tomorrow and this weekend.  Hopefully the incumbent hurricane Irene won't knock out power for too long so I can get some good work done on Sunday.  No work Sunday should mean that I'll be productive, then again I'm easily sidetracked.  Let us hope that I can keep my focus. 

I really wanted to buy an e-reader at work today.  They're down to $53.00 but I really need to save my money for student teaching.  Plus I don't buy too many books being that I can get everything I need from the library.  Such a conundrum because I know I'd use an e-reader I just don't have to have one.  My mom offered to buy me one but I feel bad asking her to spend money on me.  We'll see what happens, as of right now I think I'm going to hold back but I may change my mind tomorrow when I get paid.  I just feel like you shouldn't spend money you don't have.  That's how people get into credit card debt, spending money they don't have.  Right now I'm happy to report that I have no CC debt and I'd like to keep it that way.  So tough to work in a bookstore with great deals when you have no money.  Oh well, at least I'm getting used to living on very little money.  It's good not to have excess, I guess.  Who knows.  I'm debating on watching Sucker Punch now.  I'll probably give in even though I want to wake up early and get stuff done after being well rested.  Now I'm just rambling so on that note goodnight all. 

1 comment:

  1. I take full credit for the state park thing, but you're right it's as close to nirvavna as you can get in jersey. Congratulations on the cc debt! Some day I too will be debt free in live or I'll be dead. Either one. You have a birthday coming up so maybe you'll get lucky with the e-reader. Too bad hurricanes are windy otherwise we could sit on your porch and watch the streets flood.

    Not the best comment in the world, but I'm tired. Good luck with unit planning this weekend.

    ReplyDelete