Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Love the Beach

Went to the beach today and it was glorious.  Good old Ocean City, NJ with a couple of friends.  And it wasn't even crowded; just a great beach and boardwalk day.  The only lowliight was my horrific game of mini golf.  I should just tell myself that I played so poorly so that Kyle would have a great margin of victory.  I know how much he takes pride in his golfing abilities so I didn't want to ruin his day by putting him to shame at mini golf.  I took the suckiness a little further then I hoped but hey, at least I didn't finish in last place.  Just a great time with friends; got some sun, rode some waves (I consider myself an amateur body surfer) played some frisbee and cruised the boardwalk.  Of course I had to get a slice of pizza on the boardwalk.  You can't go to the shore and not have pizza on the boardwalk.  We went to Mac and Manco's, an Ocean City staple and it was delicious.  Then we went home and got to watch the Phillies cap an excellent comeback before heading home.  Overall a great day with friends, couldn't ask for more. 

I finished my scholarship essay and submitted it.  Overall I think it turned out well.  It was my first time ever submitting an essay for a scholarship because I haven't ever found one that I qualify for.  So often scholarships are geared towards a certain ethnic group, or students in a particular major field of study, or sometimes for people with a certain skill set like web design.  I joined a website called fastweb.com a while back that tries to find scholarships that match up with your situation and for the most part the scholarships they suggest aren't really in my field.  The essay that I wrote was about what I believe fitness is all about and the things that a college student can do to achieve the optimal level of fitness; all in 500 words or less.  The scholarship is for $1500 and that would be a lovely boost to the Yonni student teaching fund.  Hopefully I'll get it but either way I'm glad that I made an attempt. 

I'm all about the random topics tonight so I'll move onto a movie review.  Last night I watched Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.  Sorry Cynth, but I really wasn't a fan.  Maybe it's because I haven't read the comic/graphic novel but I just couldn't get into it.  I'm also just sick of Michael Cera.  He peaked with Superbad and Juno and since then I really haven't seen anything with him that's very good.  The movie where he has a split personality looks decent but his overall demeanor and persona just irritates me.  Hey man I get it, you do a great job playing an awkward and shy little bitch.  But seriously, expand your horizons a little bit.  With the first couple of movies it was funny but now it's old and overplayed.  Anyway, I just couldn't get into the movie.  If you really like graphic novels maybe you'll like this movie but I really didn't enjoy it.  The Ramona Flowers character was really cool.  I don't know if I found her attractive but she was a cool character and she had the ability to make snow magically melt as she roller-bladed through it.  Next up I have a couple of movies that look cool.  I may watch one on instant tonight called Wild Target.  There are a couple British actors in it, most notably Rupert Grint aka Ron Weasley.  Plus I should get Hall Pass  within the next couple of days so expect reviews. 

1 comment:

  1. You didn't even lose at mini golf so don't be so down. Your scholarship essay was well written and personal, I'll be shocked if you don't get something for it. You're movie reviews are always so frank and entertaining so I look forwards to the next few. I had a really great day with you today, I just wish it had ended as wonderfully as it began.

    ReplyDelete