Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Holiday and Winter Blues

Everything about the winter seems depressing; it's cold, dark, and wet.  And sometimes it's windy making it even worse.  Sure snow can be fun when you have no other obligations  but overall I am not the biggest fan of the cold weather months.  I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in my detest for the cold, as many seem to suffer for the condition known as 'winter blues'.  I also find it convenient that at the peak of the most depressing season a holiday exists that involves the exchange of gifts.  It almost seemed like society created the gift giving of Christmas in order to raise people's spirits so that they are less depressed in winter time.  I mean technically isn't Christmas supposed to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus? I'm not a Christian so I'm no expert on the subject, so I wonder how the whole gift giving thing got worked into the birth of Jesus.  Somebody once told me that Saint Nicholas aka Santa Clause would give needy children toys way back in the day, earning his claim to fame.  So Christmas morphed from the birth of Jesus to needy kids receiving toys and then to everyone receiving gifts, needy or wealthy...I think.

I'm certainly not against Christmas in any way; when done correctly it can represent a wonderful tradition of giving and togetherness for families and friends.  It just frustrates me how the tradition that should bring happiness and joy results in angst from so many towards the fact that they have to spend money on gifts and host family members.  I wonder about the relationship betweenthe anxiety and frustration during holiday time and the winter blues.  Was the Christmas holiday created to combat winter blues or does it actually perpetuate the phenomenon because people feel pressured by all of the money and preparations required by the holiday? I feel that Santa and Frosty should make everyone jolly, yet I find so many people to be most bitter around the holidays.  I guess my main conundrum is Christmas Holiday...the cause or cure for the winter blues? Please share your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. I dont believe in the winter blues because I love the winter. I also think there are many people who love winter meaning that Christmas wasnt created to combat that. If I am correct at all i believe that the 3 wise men brought our lord baby Jesus gifts on the day of his birth, thus stemming the gifts for Christmas. If I am wrong dont correct me because I like the baby Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha good insights, I guess they were bringing him bday gifts. I find in general people are more crabby during the winter months but I am glad to hear that at least one person enjoys the cold. I personally would take the hot summers over cold winters any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lets be honest you are the bear jew you were born to be in 120 degree summers thus the reason you travel to the homeland every summer.

    ReplyDelete