Monday, May 9, 2011

Insanity Cures All

I now feel one hundred times better than I did prior to doing my Insanity session tonight.  I was feeling very angry and frustrated with the events of today and I was thinking all day that I hope today's Insanity session would feature the circuit of punches.  I asked and I received just that with the plyometric cardio circuit.  The circuit ends with a series of jabs, uppercuts, and open handed jabs.  I went as hard as I could on those punches and I think it's safe to say I got all of that aggression out.  Tomorrow I will be hanging my heavy bag in the garage; a task that I have been putting off for months/years now.  I want it hung up so that on a day like today, if I don't have Insanity I can just go outside and wail on the thing until I have no more energy left to be angry.  See that was the beauty of today's workout; I was mad so I went harder and faster to the extent that once I was finished I had no more energy to be angry.  As Andy Reid would say, "It's a beautiful thing."


So on a request from one of my most consistent readers I'll continue with this societal critique thing I got going on.  See the whole U.S involvement in the Middle East pisses me off.  Why did we go to the Middle East in the first place.  Well Afghanistan because that was the country that housed Al Qaida, and the Taliban government apparently supported the terrorist activities and training camps of the terrorist group.  Ok, I can understand that one.  Then you get to Iraq; the US went there for weapons of mass destruction.  Did they find such weapons?  No they did not.  So you would think the rational thing to do would be to leave, but wait a second, now we have human rights violations under vicious dictatorships.  So what is the United States to do?  Remove the evil regimes and replace them with western supporting democracies.  Yay, win win for everyone, especially the US who will likely seize control of the oil fields in order to provide a steady flow of crude to the US.  But wait that can't be true, I mean the US is there to protect the citizens of these countries and give them democracy so that their human rights won't be violated right?  Wasn't that the point of taking down these viscous and evil regimes?

Well how about all of those other countries where human rights violations are occurring.  Think about the genocides in Africa, Chechnya, and Myanmar.  Where are the US troops in Darfur and the Ivory Coast protecting those people from rape, torture, and slaughter?  Could it be that the lack of oil in such countries has prevented US intervention there.  I mean come on if you're going to be the world's police force you can't pick and choose, you must go wherever there are human rights violations.  It just seems like the US decides to intervene in countries that happen to be rich with oil fields. 

Ok, I get it, we're the largest consumers in the world and we need crude oil to refine into other fuels in order to sustain our way of life.  Meanwhile since 9/11/2001 gas prices have skyrocketed and are projected to reach an all time high this summer.  And what will happen when oil runs out?  Because I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news to everyone out there but oil is NOT a renewable energy source meaning once it's gone we can't just make more.  Maybe it would be smarter to invest in renewable energy sources or alternative fuels such as biodeisel.  Renewable energy sources would be things like solar, hydro, wind, and nuclear power.  Yeah I know when people hear nuclear they think meltdown but maybe if we put more money into that research as opposed to spending trillions on two to three fronts in the middle east to protect oil fields would be money better spent.

Here's what I propose to the US to exit this horrid decade of war and recession.  Pull out of the Middle East completely and begin to focus on renewable, domestic energy sources.  Research and production of such energy sources would likely increase the number of jobs and would provide openings for all of those unemployed individuals.  This exit strategy would also save the united states trillions with the military budget as well as thousands of lives of soldiers that may fall in future campaigns in the Middle East.  Instead of always being on the offensive how about being on the defensive for a change.  Why are we so concerned with an enemy and an ideal that is thousands of miles away?  How about we focus on our domestic issues like those nut jobs who picket dead soldiers funerals and hate America.  This country has plenty of problems and our presence in the Middle East and our reliance on foreign oil is only perpetuating those problems.  We need to start fixing our issues from within.  Money needs to be allocated to education, closing the poverty gap, health care, and lifting us out of this recession.  It's time for the US to play some defense and begin rebuilding from within.  I don't know why we're so concerned with the rest of the world's issues and so complacent towards our own.  We've been messed up for a while; it's time to bounce out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment