Saturday, August 27, 2011

Skip Sucker Punch Unless...

Today I finished watching Sucker Punch; I watched it over a two-day period.  If that's any reflection of how much I liked it.  Honestly it wasn't a terrible movie, started off well but then it dropped off a bit; plus a very confusing plot.  Some good action scenes filled with beautiful women kicking ass; always a good thing.  The special effects were pretty cool too.  It could have just been my TV but the movie was kind of dark at times, a little too dark for my taste.  I get that the director wants to show that it's night time or that there's little to no light in the chosen setting, but what good is a movie that you can't even see at times.  To those of you who like movies with hot girls kicking ass and special effects similar to those in 300 and Sin City, go ahead and watch this movie.  Otherwise you may want to skip this one.  I'd say Sucker Punch  falls into the category of movies carried by special effects and similar movies.  The advertisers and studios attached things like, 'From the geniuses that brought you 300 and Sin City,' and suckers like me believed this movie would be good.  It's really a shame what Hollywood is doing these days.  They make so many crap movies that they sell using links to other good movies, or they put together a cast packed with A-listers and then skimp on the writing and directing. 

As most of you know we're expecting some inclement weather in the form of hurricane Irene.  In response everyone's running to the grocery store loading up on water, batteries, and non-perishables in preparation for the flooding and losses of power.  Once again we see the phenomenon in the American culture of reactive measures instead of proactive measures.  These hurricanes swoop in every year and blast the Atlantic and Gulf coasts for millions is not billions of dollars in damage.  And what have we done in response?  Hunkered down in our basements and shelters, waited until they pass, and then clean up all of the damage.  It just seems senseless to me for us to sit around and just wait to be smacked by these things.  We've put a man on the moon, why can't we create some type of technology to stop these devastating storms from happening.  Something to push them back out to sea or a bomb to drop in the middle and just break up the storm.  Ok I know these ideas sound a little crazy but seriously, with all of the advances in science and technology why are we not actively trying to find proactive measures to stop hurricanes from ever reaching catastrophic levels of destruction?  I just think there's got to be some way we can use our knowledge of science and technology to take action against these storms before they strike. 

It's funny how the only thing that bothers me about the storms is the possibility of no power for more than a day.  All I want to do right now is unit plan and no power means no computer and no computer means no unit plans.  Plus all of the other fun stuff I use my computer for like P90X, music, plus all of my uses for the internet (banking, news, sports, aka everything).  I've recently realized that I could possibly live without a TV but definitely not without a computer.  My computer is my life, kind of like Lisbeth Salander.  Except I don't have an awesome Macbook Pro with a seventeen inch screen but no worries, I'll get there one day.  Just another luxury to add to the wishlist along with a motorcycle.  Yes, I am slowly turning into the male version of Lisbeth Salander; minus the hacking, goth look, and investigative skills.  Time to go get work done before Irene takes away that possibility. 

4 comments:

  1. I want to leave a good constructive comment, I really do, but I took shower and now I'm watching episodes of The OC in my pajama(s?). Is it still plural if it's just one thing? Anyways I'm almost in total relaxation right now. I'm loving this weather stuff right now. I'm all warm and dry in my apartment and outside it doesn't even look like it's raining very much. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad all is well and I hope it'll stay that way. Enjoy yogalates and McMansions. I remember the days when Summer Roberts really did it for me...sigh...oh to be young again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your information I have noticed numerous gray hairs popping up on the left side of my head. I think that means I'm old, or that you're giving me too much grief :P. Either way.

    ReplyDelete