Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Two Down One to go

I wasn't motivated to write the last couple of days.  Wow that sounds big-headed but it's the truth; I was in a bad, broody mood and really had nothing interesting to share or discuss.  Now that I'm feeling better I'll share some fun facts with you all.  Today began like any normal day off, breakfast and then off to my chilled out Starbucks to get some leisure reading in.  I finished The Girl who Played with Fire today and I must say that once again Larsson hit a home run with this novel.  So suspenseful and fascinating how complex and in depth the mystery goes.  After the first novel I wondered how could he keep building on this, the story was over and the case was closed.  The writing style is excellent and leaves you on the edge of your seat.  Just as you're about to put the book down during one of the boring stretches Larsson throws some new plot twist out there that dares you to read on.  It's slightly predictable (well that or I've just seen or read too many mysteries, or maybe I was lucky with my guessing) but still a great read.  When I finished the novel I promptly left Starbucks and went straight to the public library to take out the third installment of the series, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.  There were no copies available but they ordered in a copy from another library that should arrive in the next couple of days.  In the meantime I checked out a book titled The Winter of Frankie the Machine by Don Winslow.  My choice with this book was influenced by a friendly Starbucks Barista who noticed my avid reading ritual, and specifically that I was reading Larsson's books.  We talked for a bit and then later she came by and told me about the Winslow book, suggesting that I read it.  I'm intrigued to start it and see if the recommendation turns out to be a good read.  

Naturally after I finished Girl who Played with Fire I had to watch the movie.  Once again the movie did an excellent job hitting the main plot points and skipped over a lot of he insignificant scenes.  I thought that the script for this movie was written better than the script for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I liked the second film more than the first.  Lisbeth killed it once again and some new characters did very well with their roles.  The one character who I was slightly disappointed with was the blonde giant.  I expected him to be bigger and more jacked, like Arnold.  Don't get me wrong, big guy, but he didn't have the stage presence that his character commanded in the novel.  I think they could have chose someone better.  For instance, in the movie The Punisher there was a huge blonde assassin nicknamed 'The Swede' and he was played by Kevin Nash.  Now given the fact that Kevin Nash is nearly seven feet tall that wouldn't go along with the book's description of a guy who ran 6'6 but still, wasn't impressed by the blonde giant.  Overall I enjoyed this movie because it did a good job properly depicting the main plot points of the novel, while also adding in some great scenes of action and passion.  The movie once again deviated from the book in a number of ways that I thought were unnecessary but I still enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to the third book and the third movie. 

That felt great.  I really wanted to write the past couple of days but I could just feel the rubbish that was stewing in my mind.  I can't bring myself to write anymore unless I know I'm going to feel good about it.  I began the year with a resolution to write every day and I've done pretty good minus the stretch where I wanted to work on my novel/when my computer died, and my time in Israel.  Now I know that writing everyday isn't important, but instead to write when I feel compelled and when I have something that I want to say and share with my readers.  It's a shame that when I'm brooding I often don't feel like writing.  Maybe that could be a time when I could produce some of my best writing.  Next time I'm brooding I'll make it a point to attempt a post of something along those lines.  Most famous writers/artists were crazy right, so why not try and produce a work of genius in one of my more negative moods.  Who knows what will come of such a mood; we shall see next time one walks into my life and knocks me out for a little while. 

1 comment:

  1. "My great shame as a writer is that I’m just this suburban kid with good parents. Hardly Dickensian, you know what I’m saying?"

    Play with your strengths and find what helps you produce your best writing.

    ReplyDelete