The other day in class we had a presentation from the head of the teacher education center, and he advised us about a whole number of things to think about and be careful of. Most notably was our online exposure with social networking websites and photographs on pages like facebook. He advised not to post any pictures containing alcohol, drugs, nudity, or any photos or content that could reflect negatively on us. Let's be honest, just about all of us have pictures on facebook with us holding some type of alcoholic beverage, or partying in some way. I'll make sure once I begin student teaching to take all of those photos down even though I have privacy restrictions on my facebook page. I have to say though I think it's kind of crappy that it's gotten to that point, I mean I am over 21 years old so under the law I'm allowed to drink. But I guess because I'm going to be a role model as a teacher I should be setting a good example for my students. Either way, better to be safe then fight the system, it's more important for be to have a job than some pictures up on a website.
Besides stressing facebook, dressing professionally, and cell phone etiquette, the good doctor (PhD technically) also advised us that if we have any doubts about what schools will be able to see that we should google ourselves. So tonight, about 5 minutes ago I did just that, I googled myself. I tried my full name and my nickname, and I even entered in the town that I live in, and nada. I couldn't find anything relating to me which makes me feel good; I guess I'm not important enough to show up on the front page of results from google. Anyway it's not like I engage in illegal activities on a regular basis, or really at all, and I shouldn't have any dirt floating around the net about me so I'm glad that at least to my prospective employers I should appear like an upstanding citizen. Haha I say that like I have a checkered past or something; yeah right no skeletons in my closet.
I think my whole experience sheds light on the fact that anything that you put on the internet is out there for anyone to read or see. It's important to keep that in mind before posting any photos or content that you may not want somebody seeing. You may think your info is protected on facebook by privacy restrictions but I'll tell you if it's on there it can be found, all you need is the right password and you can see anyone's page. I've experienced this first hand so if I'm the first to tell you, be cautious with anything that you put on facebook or the internet. Sure this blog doesn't have my name attached but if somebody really wanted to track down the author they probably could. That's why I try not to talk about inappropriate things or use profanity. Sorry if you're looking for edgier material, maybe in the future once I'm tenured I'll start to throw in the raunchy stuff. For now I hope this satisfies your curiosities and gives you somewhat of a glimpse into my life and how I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment