Thursday, January 6, 2011

Soft spoken people

Working in a service industry, specifically food service, I talk to customers on a daily basis.  For some reason I feel that people are way more soft spoken than they used to be.  Like someone will be practically whispering their order to me.  Do they actually think I can hear them when their volume is turned all the way down to 1? I mean seriously what gives, I feel like people didn't used to be so quiet.  Either people are growing quieter or my hearing is crapping out on me after 24 years of abuse.  Either way I feel like many people are very soft spoken these days and I even noticed it when I was out and about today.  I went to go get my fingerprinting done for my education clearances and the guy doing it was so quiet.  When he came out and read the names off I barely heard him, but luckily the people next to me got up so I knew he was reading off our names.  Then when we were in there he was practically mumbling the instructions to us and didn't really say anything else.  No 'Hi, How are you today'? just a blank stare.  That's another thing I feel like those same people who speak in whispers also don't make simple conversation.  For instance if I ask you how you're doing is it so difficult to say 'fine thanks' or even a simple 'hi'.  So often I greet people and I get nothing back; hey people guess what? that's just rude. 

I fear that many people in today's society have become soft spoken, and I can't figure out the cause of it (maybe everyone's on drugs?).  I wonder how such people would perform in a job interview or in any type of professional setting that requires human contact.  My guess is not very well.  And what about on  a date, if such people even date or a social situation with friends.  Have you ever heard the saying quiet people have the most fun?  I haven't.  The lesson that these mumblers and mimes have taught me is simple.  When somebody is speaking to you try to respond at a level that is audible and in a way that is understandable (no mumbling, proper enunciation).  Eye contact and an assertive attitude can go a long way, especially in a setting such as a job interview or a work meeting.  Don't be afraid to speak up and speak loudly because chances are you probably have something useful to say as long as you think first and it's respectful.  So often it's not the words we say but how we say such words, so don't be soft spoken because it probably won't get you anywhere. 

2 comments:

  1. Im not gonna lie this is probably your worst blog yet. Every other entry made sense and had great material. Im not even sure what your getting at. Talking about how some people are soft spoken i dont think thats a bad thing. If anything if you are mad at people not greeting you, you should make a blog about the art of conversation or even conversation starters. Despite this blog i still want to hang out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just believe that being soft spoken doesn't get you anywhere in life. People who have good ideas should speak their minds and not sit back while others move forward. Sure one can talk to much but all I meant to say was those who have important things to say should not hold back. Plus not returning a greeting is just rude and it bothers me.

    ReplyDelete