Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trying out for the Soul

You ever see that movie Invincible where Vince Papale, an average guy goes out and makes the Philadelphia Eagles at an open tryout?  Well this Saturday I'm going to do what Papale did, only I'm going to try out for the arena team, the Philadelphia Soul.  They are having open tryouts this Saturday at the Novacare complex and I'm going to go and try out.  I've always dreamed of being a professional athlete and I just feel like I can't let an opportunity like this pass me by.  Football is my favorite thing in the world and even being given the slightest chance of playing it at a high level is so exciting.  I'm feeling very anxious about it, but in life opportunities like this don't come along very often, and when they do we've got to do all we can to seize them and to make the best of them. 

When I was around 5-6 years old I told my dad I wanted to be a professional basketball player.  He calmly told me, "That's not going to happen".  Well dad guess what, I'm still going to give the whole athlete thing a shot.  Why not?  I mean seriously what do I have to lose? I'll go out there on the field and I'll give it my all for however long the practice lasts.  If I make the team great, and if not well at least I'll be able to say that I tried.  I know I'm not the biggest, fastest, or strongest guy, but I've been working out a lot and I've always had pretty good hands.  If I catch every ball that comes to me who knows, maybe I could play receiver or tight end.  I think defense isn't even out of the question, I mean it's a small field and I could probably take one of those guys down.  You're probably laughing at me right now thinking, 'who are you kidding you won't even make it that far'.  Well guess what, that type of attitude is going to get me nowhere.  I've got to go in there acting like I'm going to do it and try my hardest to make that team.  Wish me luck, I'll let you know how it goes come Saturday. 

3 comments:

  1. you didn't go. after this post too. crazy bro, crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, not cool, I let down my readers. Hopefully next year I won't be broke and I'll just shell out the money and go.

    ReplyDelete