So it only took me 23 days to bail on the whole writing every day resolution, nice. Anyway, to make up for my lack of a post yesterday I"ll try to post twice today. So yesterday morning began with my friend K and I moving my sister's belongings into her newly purchased home. She would have helped but she was feeling a bit under the weather so it was just K and I in what seemed to be the coldest day of the year. It was absolutely freezing and until we got moving and the blood was flowing it was quite miserable. I mean really moving in general is not fun, one of those things that you understand why richer people just pay others to move for them. In my constant attempt to remain positive and upbeat I kept telling myself it wouldn't be that bad, there aren't that many things and we'll finish fairly quickly. Surprisingly it actually went by quickly with K and I working very efficiently together, and we had some late help from A, another one of my sister's friends. A bunch of her other friends were supposed to show up but nobody did. Come on, who wouldn't want to wake up early on a Saturday morning on the coldest day of the year to assist with doing unpaid manual labor? I had no problem with it, but times like these really make you wonder and see who your true friends are.
Sure some people probably had work or other commitments but we all hope that when we need a helping hand our friends and family will be the first to answer the call. I know I've helped numerous friends and family members move, paint, landscape, and other tasks that usually involved unpaid manual labor. Did I ever expect anything in return? No, not really, only the hope that when I need a couple of helping hands for a laborious task that I would have a few volunteers. Nobody actually enjoys tasks like moving, or landscaping (well maybe some people but I don't know any) but when a friend is in need you just suck it up and do it, because it's the right thing to do. Consider that next time you need help with some type of laborious task, and ask yourself how likely you are to receive help from others when you rarely answer the call yourself. Also, if you're not going to help a friend in need who are you going to help when called? If the answer is nobody you may want to rethink your morals and priorities because without friends and family life can be pretty bleak.
No comments:
Post a Comment