Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hooray For Warm Weather

Last night I was all set to go for a run.  I had it in my head, abs program then outside for a run, but I just couldn't do it.  It was so freezing after such a nice day and so in result I continued to put off the running.  Luckily some warm weather is coming our way this weekend so maybe tomorrow and/or Friday I'll finally get my first run of the new year in.  I'm really being a pansy about this but I just can't stand the cold.  I hope this warmer weather won't be a tease, I can't stand that.  It's like 65 degrees one day and then back down to 30 the next.  No good, I need consistency.  Maybe I should just go some place where the year round temperature is between 75-85 degrees...like Hawaii.  Now there's a thought, I'll have to give that one more consideration. 

So today after doing some homework I watched the movie Kick Ass.  I must say I was quite impressed with the quality and the action.  Didn't except so much bloodshed and profanity and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.  For those of you who haven't seen it I would highly recommend it, especially if you are a fan of the movies featuring comic book characters.  I think it's so hard to find good movies these days; so much crap out there.  It seems like big time studios think they can just put together a low quality production and just load it with stars and the actors will just make it a great movie.  That or studio executives no longer care about producing great movies and only load blockbusters with stars to attract audiences to go see the movies in an effort to make profits off movies that may not necessarily be any good. 

Take Clash of the Titans, came out last year with Sam Worthington and Liam Neeson.  It was alright, nothing special.  It seemed like it was low budget, with lots of special effects, and relied on the actors to carry the remake.  The previews made it look pretty solid, and unfortunately the previews featured the best parts of the movie.  Another example is The Tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp.  A movie featuring the biggest actor and actress in Hollywood; I wonder if people will want to go see that?  Of course they would, who wouldn't? And of course it received pretty poor reviews because who needs quality when you have the two most popular actors in Hollywood in the same movie.  I just remember when I was growing up movies just seemed to be of better quality.  Even without big names actors and actresses it just seemed like film makers took pride in producing a solid product.  Now there are so many terrible movies out there I wonder how many people actually care about producing great movies as opposed to generating the biggest profits out there. 

TV has been blowing up the last few years and features a lot of A-List actors.  I wonder if all of the good writers and directors are moving from features to TV.  Networks like showtime and HBO have been producing high quality shows for year now.  HBO has had Sopranos, Entourage, and Boardwalk Empire while showtime features Weeds, Dexter, Californication and others that continue to draw large audiences.  I wonder if I'm just catching onto a trend that other have already seen brewing for a while, that TV is overtaking movies with it's popularity.  I also wonder if bootlegging websites are going to ruin the movie industry as they have been doing to the music industry.  So many people just download movies of watch them for free online instead of paying for them.  It will be interesting to see how all of the movie downloading plays out in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment