Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Dream within a Dream

Those who have seen and are fans of Inception would appreciate this post.  Last night I had a dream within a dream.  I was woken up in my dream by my mom, feeling like I had been woken up from dreaming at 7 am.  I remember it being early in the morning, around 7 am and feeling very angry; and for some reason my mom was screaming at me.  I think my dream within a dream was about a lovely lady that I met not too long ago but unfortunately is unavailable so that interest was short lived.  Stop thinking what you're thinking, there was nothing dirty about the dream, just kind of a memory of something that will probably never be, oh well it's probably for the best.  Anyway, it was cool because as soon I was woken up in my dream I realized something was funny, like it wasn't real.  It was like, 'oh wow, I'm still dreaming'.  I tried not to panic or go too crazy because I remembered in Inception they said not to freak out once you realize you're still dreaming.  Haha, sorry I just find it funny how the cast of Inception has now become my authority on dream etiquette.

So this interesting dream from last night made me realize that I want to start doing something that I used to do, keeping a dream log.  Starting tonight I'm going to place a notebook next to my bed for the soul purpose of recording my dreams.  We all know that we remember our dreams best right after we wake up and as the day goes on we tend to forget about them.  Now I'll be able to write down my dreams right away, even if it's only a sentence or two to remind me of what I dreamed about.  I used to keep a dream log; the idea coming from my freshman psych professor Dr. Ali who suggested it to all of his students.  If you find yourself in the same predicament as me, knowing you dream about cool stuff but then you forget about it as the day goes on try keeping a dream log.  As soon as you wake up jot down however much you want about your dream.  Even if it's in the middle of the night just a sentence or two would probably be enough to jog your memory if you're trying to relived or remember your dream.  See if you can notice trends like recurring dreams or similar sensations like falling, or the feeling like your feet are lead weights for instance: you try to run but you can't no matter how hard you try.  Also some people say we dream in black and white, I disagree because I can definitely remember colors from my dreams, but anyway try to see if you can recall colors.  Hopefully you like my idea and start a log.  If you do start a dream log and make some interesting discoveries please comment on here and tell me about them.  Sweet dreams. 

1 comment: