Friday, January 14, 2011

Embrace Your Guilty Pleasures

We all have our guilty pleasures, don't deny it, and mine happens to be Jersey Shore.  I don't know why but the show amuses me so much.  For some reason I just can't get enough of the tanned guidos and guidettes doing their GTL routines and then going out to the clubs to hook up.  I love the lingo, the drama, the routines, all of it.  And not because I think they are cool, just because they are so ridiculous with the way that they live their lives, it's like watching a train wreck.  Nothing constructive or educational comes from watching Jersey Shore, it's just a small addiction that I've developed, and continues to be an extremely entertaining program.  Sure tonight's episode was kind of lame, but every time Pauly D says "CABS A' HEEEEAAAA" I can't help but crack a smile.  The characters are so dumb and ridiculous and it kills me to know that they make tens of thousands of dollars just to make appearances at bars, but at the same time I just can't stop watching.

As much as I enjoy watching the show, I always catch myself before I admit that I actually watch it in front of new people.  It is very trashy TV and I'm sometimes afraid of being judged for watching such a show.  Recently I've come to the realization that we all have our guilty pleasures.  Maybe you like some crazy foreign music, or you're a sucker for Japanese horror movies.  You could be that guy who gets the girly Frappucino drink at Starbucks, or maybe you've just got to have the McDonald's cheeseburger every Friday at the end of a tough work week.  Whatever you're pleasure, don't be ashamed of it, even if you feel like it's a guilty one.  We all have our quirks and our weird interests, they are what make us individuals.  Embrace your guilty pleasure, whatever it may be, because it makes you happy and makes life a little more enjoyable.  Ignore the people who try to judge you for it, because you know that everyone's got their guilty pleasures, just not all people are willing to own up to them. 

4 comments: