Sunday, January 30, 2011

Taking Time Off

So last night I had a great outing with people from work at a bar.  We met to celebrate a fellow co-worker and her newly acquired full-time job, which will give her benefits and better pay.  I'm very happy for you Janet but sad to see you leave Borders, except for one night a week.  It was great because it was totally a spur of the moment decision to go out.  I was sitting at home on facebook thinking I was just going to take it easy and then I saw that Janet had posted a status about how she was going out to the bar to celebrate and that Borders co-workers should come out.  Then I just decided, 'screw it I'll go, it's Saturday night and I'm not doing anything else.'  It ended up being a really fun time.  I had never been out with people from work as a group and it was excellent.  After some drinks we merged with these people who were having a party to have one big dance party, it was excellent.  Lot's of dancing and drinking (not me though b/c I drove) and overall it was just a great time.  I ended up giving a couple of co-workers rides home after and I just remember being really happy I decided to go out instead of staying in on a Saturday Night.

A friend at school recently told me how no matter what's going on Friday and Saturday nights are his to do whatever he wants.  Even if he has lots of schoolwork he makes sure to go out on the weekend and have a great time.  I think everybody should his example, or atleast to take advantage of nights that are followed by a day off.  Sure we all have work, school, and family commitments but we've all got to have some time during every week that is scheduled for fun.  In this juncture in my life and my friends' lives such fun usually consists of going out to a bar to dance, drink, socialize, and generally have a good time.  Too many times last semester I used the excuse of schoolwork to keep me in on the weekends, when I should have been out enjoying my youth.  If you find yourself in a similar position just think, if not on a Friday or Saturday night then when will you go out, let loose and have fun?  We all have our commitments with work and school, but at some point you've got to think do I really have to get everything done?  Is it absolutely imperative that I do everything perfectly, or can I sacrifice a little bit of my time for some fun?  Go out there and enjoy yourself taking a couple of nights off a week, we work to live not the other way around.  Get your work done during the day so at night you can go out and enjoy yourself.   

4 comments:

  1. you title makes it sound like you want to take extended time off instead of just not doing anything productive on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop trying to criticize everything like Kyle used to do. There is only one Kyle and he is not replaceable. One day he will return and the blog will once again be complete. But thanks for commenting, you are currently the lone commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but maybe i will and just stop commenting completely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. please don't, then it would be a sad and lonely blog.

    ReplyDelete