Monday, January 3, 2011

Why not wait?

The previous post was greatly influenced by a current trend that I have noticed involving young people around me getting married.  When I say young people I mean under 30, but in my recent observations under 25.  I hear about more and more people my age, engaged, married, or with children (pregnant or already have them).  What's the rush? I mean really why get engaged or married when you're so young and have barely experienced the different things that life has to offer? At this age we are allotted the ultimate freedom to stay out late, party, and have a good time.  When we're young we can just pick up and leave, try something new, or travel to a new place whenever because we have no familial obligations.  I know this is quite general as some people may be limited by other circumstances (physical or emotional disabilities, maybe you have to care for a sick family member), but when such limitations aren't in place, why limit yourself by getting settling down so young?

Instead why not take the time to save money, secure a career that suits you and build a foundation there, possibly buy a home, and most importantly take as much time as possible to alleviate any doubts that the partner you have chosen is indeed right for you.  Personally I don't understand people who rush into a small wedding, skipping on nice things that they could not afford, and then moving into a small one bedroom apartment because the newly married couple has no money.  Just a side note I think that military marriages are the exception as that lifestyle usually requires a young marriage to insure that the serviceman/woman's family is cared for by government benefits.  Besides that situation, I do not understand why people rush into weddings at such a young age.  Even with shotgun weddings, if people marry because the woman is pregnant for religious reasons, didn't she already sin by conceiving out of wedlock?

Overall I'm just concerned that many young people are not taking the institution of marriage seriously, and are not taking a significant amount of time to make the right decision.  Just because you are with somebody for 'x' amount of years does not mean that you are contractually obligated to marry the person.  Also, a strong physical connection on its own does not predict a successful marriage; an aspect that many seem to focus on.  Sure the physical connection is crucial, but once it dies out there must be a deep emotional connection to support a lifelong partnership.  If more people were to take their time and save up money, mature, and get to know their partners more, I believe that less people would get divorced, and more people would be happy with their relationship status.  I really hope that my observations do not reflect a general trend of individuals downplaying the institution of marriage and the importance of taking the time to make the right decision.  By all means if you want to have a cheap and small wedding and then move into a tiny apartment when you're young because you have no money then go for it; that just won't be me. 

1 comment:

  1. I know right, I'm too old to get married now. I guess I'll have to settle for a lifetime of loneliness haha.

    ReplyDelete