I was all set to write a narrative and I even got started on one, but I don't know if I like the dark turn that it took. I'm going to need to give it some serious thought before I publish it because although it's realistic fiction (very realistic in this case) I just don't know. Anyway the good thing is I got an idea for another narrative that I see myself starting soon. I also think I'm going to experiment with some poetry. One thing that I've learned about myself as a writer lately is that when I tend to rush through my writing and produce something it's usually crap. It's not crap because of the diction, spelling, or grammar but because I'm not happy with it so in result it lacks fire and voice. For instance, my persuasive piece that I wrote yesterday was the result of me hating my first attempt at a persuasive piece. I didn't feel good about the first piece at all so I erased the whole thing and started from square one. I'm happy-not only with life even when things are crappy-but because I really feel that I'm growing as a writer.
If it were earlier I'd give narrative number two a shot but I need to get some sleep after my first super Wednesday. Out of the house at 7 am and not home again until 10 pm, and surprisingly not as bad as I imagined it would be. I think the key to getting through crappy days and situations is to build them up in your mind as really crappy before hand. That way you will expect the events of the day to blow, and you may be pleasantly surprised when you find that the suckiness was grossly exaggerated. Take my sister's move for instance. For weeks before it I kept telling myself how much it was going to suck and then on the day of-when we had even fewer people than expected-it really wasn't that bad. Same thing with super Wednesday; I've been telling myself all semester how much these are going to stink and now it wasn't even that bad. There's my tid bit for the day kids: If you have an undesirable situation coming up expect the worst. That way you'll know what to expect and you'll likely be pleasantly surprised when the day and/or event isn't nearly as bad as you thought it would be.
Switching gears now, I had a very interesting morning. I thought that I had found a Starbucks in Kennett Square but the establishment I found online has either been closed for some time or has not yet been opened. Luckily when I asked for directions I was directed to a small coffee shop/bakery called Talula's Table. It was so quaint and pleasant with a lot of hand baked goods and different drinks. The pastries were a bit pricey but the coffee was affordable, and the place was so clean. I loved the hardwood floors throughout; there was even dark tik (spelling) in the bathroom. The table that I sat at was really cool; it was sort of like if you found a wavy tree trunk about a foot and a half thick and sliced it like bread long ways and then took one of those slices and made it into a table. It reminded me of Jack's (Ashton Kutcher) homemade bar in the movie What Happens in Vegas. The chairs were super comfortable too and I am super picky with chairs. I'm a mover-as in I am never comfortable when I'm sitting so I constantly squirm but these chairs were perfect. They were stool highs and the seat dipped in a bit like a shallow bowl with a simple back providing just enough support. No joke I wanted to ask if the table and chairs were for sale that's how comfy they were. Literally I need to find out where they got that furniture because I want it badly. So happy I went to that place instead of Starbucks-no offense 'Bucks-it was just such a fun experience. Maybe I'll go back there for coffee and lunch with Britt one day after tutoring.
Side Note: I really want to write more but I am so tired and I still need to write a planning reflection for tomorrow's class. I have mock interviews tomorrow in Downingtown; I hope I do well. I was probably going to write about something else but as soon as I decided I was finished the thoughts left my mind. No worries tomorrow I will have plenty of excitement to share and hopefully I'll produce a narrative.
No comments:
Post a Comment