Today in my first class we did some awesome creative writing activities. Probably the most fun early Tuesday/Thursday class of the semester. I think I found a genre that I am excellent at: flash fiction. I'm probably really turned onto flash fiction because my main man Hemingway has one of the more famous flash flash fiction pieces. Here it is: For Sale. Baby Shoes. Never Worn. -Ernest Hemingway. And Boom there you have it, a six word narrative. I love it, I began writing them down furiously and people in class found them hilarious. So think, I'm trying to tell a story in six words with the following pieces. Enjoy.
Head ache. Empty can. Stop drinking.
Full stomach. Feel gross. Run tomorrow.
Wake up. Morning breath. Brush now.
Said hi. No response. Next Girl.
-Yonni
So there you go, six-word narratives. I love it, I could go on all day with those. People in class got a kick out of the last one in particular. That basically sums up numerous interactions that I've had with ladies out at the bar on a Friday or Saturday night. If only they knew how nice of a guy I am and the plethora of fun activities that come with me maybe they wouldn't be so quick to walk away. Oh well bars probably aren't the best place to meet the ladies anyway. Unless it's intended to be a quick meet that won't go further than a night or two. Anyway, we also did Haikus in class today; Britt's lesson. So I wrote a Haiku about the tragedy in Japan following the earthquake and Tsunami. If you're not familiar with Haiku it is a genre of Japanese poetry consisting of three lines. The lines are supposed to have a limited number of syllables and should adhere to the following order for the first three lines: 5-7-5 meaning the first and third lines have five syllables with the middle line having seven syllables. Here's my Haiku:
Devastation hits
So many sad faces now
How can we help them?
Not my best work but I'm glad that I could work in two different genres of creative writing today and it's only 3 pm. Maybe if I'm motivated I'll try to do some yonni scheme today. Although I think yonni scheme may be too long. If I've learned anything today it's that brevity may be my forte. I mean Shakespeare's sonnets were only 14 lines, why did I choose 22? Because it's my lucky number? Rubbish. I may have to rethink yonni scheme. So much better than yesterdays. I enjoy that after a lackluster entry I can usually bounce back with something of note. Cheers.
I actually really like the flash fiction. It took me a minute to get at what was going on, but now it's really cool. You should write a whole book in flash fiction, it would definitely be an interesting way to tell a story.
ReplyDeleteAlso if you haven't read "A Very Short Story" by Hemingway. Excellent example of bare writing.
Good idea, like instead of a poetry book a flash fiction book. Although I think it would have to be a book of short stories or just a collection of 6-word flash fiction pages; I don't know how I'd do a whole novel.
ReplyDeleteYou could tell your life story and use a specific event for each ff piece. I'm really into this idea. We must discuss this in greater depth after I get some sleep.
ReplyDelete