I haven't written for a couple of days, mostly because I just didn't have anything to say. That or I couldn't think of anything to say. Either way I would have come up with something but nothing significant came to mind. So this past week I did a couple of really nice things for two different people simple because it was the right thing to do. The first occurrence came on Tuesday where I helped a friend by taking her to a doctor's appointment and then on to get a prescription afterward. Did I have to do this? No, I could have easily said that I was too busy but in reality what matter is more pressing then a friend or family member needing a helping hand? She insisted in repaying me in some way but I told her such a token wasn't necessary. I didn't go out of my way in the hope of receiving some type of award, I did it because it was the right thing to do and I have no problem breaking my normal routine for a close friend or family member.
Last night I went out for some drinks with work people to celebrate the departure of two fellow employees who have moved on to brighter futures. One such employee, and a friend of mine, had a little to much to drink and had to make an early exit from the bar. Although I did not give her a ride to the bar I took it upon myself to take her home, and it was probably for the best. I made sure that she was alright and in bed before I left and went home, as any good friend should do. Should my friend now feel indebted to me? Not at all, because good friends are there for you when you need them. We've all had those moments where we've had way too much to drink and sometimes we need a friend there to make sure we're going to be alright.
I believe when it comes to performing good deeds to people that such acts should come out of the goodness of one's heart. I didn't help out my friends hoping for a reward or a favor in return but simply because it was the right thing to do. Some people feel differently about good deeds and feel that one deed given must one day be returned. I think that's a load of crap. You should do nice things for other people because you want to and because it makes you feel good. If you're looking for some type of reward or payback what's the point? And there may be some people out there who don't like doing nice things for others. If you're one of those people that's fine, but own up to it and don't reluctantly do someone a favor under the expectation that such a favor should be returned one day. For instance, I have no desire to do charity work such as volunteering at a homeless shelter or cleaning up a park. Chances are those things would be on my days off, time that I would prefer to use for myself. I'd be fine with giving money to pay for a homeless shelter or cleaning up a park but giving my time and effort doesn't interest me so I'm not going to pretend like it does expecting a tax break or something. Instead I'd rather enrich the lives of those closest to me with selfless and helpful acts that may never be repaid.
No comments:
Post a Comment